Command Prompt

dryden 19:28 16 Nov 04

My virus protection system has detcted and deleted W32/spy-bot.WA,which was entitled 'System32wuamgrd1.exe' Now, upon startup the Command Prompt (a black window)appears on the desktop entitled "Debugging Console C:\WINDOWS\System32wuamgrd1.exe". I can find no reference to Debugging Console in Help and Support in my XP Home. Can anyone suggest how the Console can be dismissed from the startup screen now that the bug has been deleted? I have already run System File Checker but the black window still has to be closed after each startup. Dryden.

VoG II 19:35 16 Nov 04

Start, Run, type

and click OK. Look for any reference to wuamgrd1.exe on the Startup tab and untick it.

dryden 19:43 16 Nov 04

To VoG tm

Many thanks for your help it is much appreciated. I wil see what I can do now! Dryden

Gongoozler 19:53 16 Nov 04

Hi dryden. I think the problem is that your antivirus has found and removed the virus C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuamgrd1.exe, but it hasn't removed the registry entry that is calling for it to be started at bootup. The way to do this is to find and remove the registry entry C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuamgrd1.exe in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run: Run. I think there is a safer way to do this. Download and run RegSeeker click here. This useful program runs from the exe file, so create a folder called RegSeeker. Download Double click this file to unzip it, and put the unzipped files into the folder you created. Now double click RegSeeker.exe in that folder to run the program. Make sure there is a tick in the box for "Backup before deletion". In RegSeeker click on "Startup Entries". Look for one that contains wuamgrd1.exe. Right click and select "Delete selected items". You should now be rid of your problem. If this causes your computer to misbehave you can restore the deleted entry.

dryden 19:21 17 Nov 04

I shall see how it all works out. I am gratefull
for your fulsome advice. Thank you, Dryden

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…