Command Line to shut down Windows

isca2 14:50 28 Jan 08

Can someone please remind me of the command and parameters to create a short cut to close down Windows (XP) rather than use Start, Shut Down... Thanks.

brundle 14:57 28 Jan 08

shutdown -s -t 05

or type shutdown /? at the command prompt (not at start menu/run) for a list of parameters

brundle 14:58 28 Jan 08

my mistake shutdown /s /t 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 28 Jan 08

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 01

isca2 16:44 28 Jan 08

Thanks...a related problem I have is the time it takes to shut down. I have a new pc, fast processor, but my previous 6 year old cluttered up pc shut down in half the time of this new one. I have checked to see if any AV or spyware programs are scanning before shutting down, but can't see any such activity. It certainly starts up very much quicker! Is there anything I can do to speed it up or check ?

eedcam 18:01 28 Jan 08

create a stop button

On the Windows desktop, right-click and select New and Shortcut.

If you are using Windows XP, in the command line path, type the following exactly:
SHUTDOWN -s -t 01

Please note the spaces before the hyphens and after "t".

Click Next, name the shortcut and click Finish. Now, to shutdown Windows, just double-click this shortcut.

By the way, speaking of shutting down your computer, here's another handy trick. Just consider today's tip a twofer!

You can restart Windows without going through the entire boot or start process. This is pretty handy to know when you make changes and want to see if they work. Simply click Start and Shutdown and then, hold down the Shift key after selecting Restart. Click OK.

isca2 10:26 29 Jan 08

Thanks, have created the short cut. However, I seem to remember a tip about fast shiutting down, but can't find it or remember it. Anyone have any ideas as to how to speed shut down up ?

isca2 10:51 29 Jan 08

Have Googled it and found some solutions !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…