Comfigure The "Fax Service" in Windows XP

Loomis 13:33 02 Feb 04

When I purchased my laptop, Windows XP was already installed. I tried to configure the fax service component for my computer but I need the Windows XP cd. Since my laptop came with Windows XP insalled (home version) I have no cd. Is there some download I can get from Microsoft to enable me to install this fax component, or another avenue I can take?

Stuartli 14:58 02 Feb 04

You should be able to access the Fax Console as I'm sure it's installed by default - at least it was in my case under Printers and Faxes in Control Panel and the Start menu (Settings>Menu>Printers and Faxes)

Sapins 16:45 02 Feb 04

Hi Loomis,

I have just checked my installation of XP Home, via Start/Control Panel/Printers and Faxes, and the fax facility was not installed by default. You need the original installation disc for XP to install it.

Regards,

Sapins.

Quiller. 18:24 02 Feb 04

I usually enable the fax services by going to control panel \ add and remove programmes \ add and remove windows components and tick the fax services box.

Probably the scenic route to Stuartli and Sapins way. lol

If it is unticked you will need a X\P disk.

Do you have a dial up modem? if so, some have fax software on the installation disk. Don't know about B.B. as this machine is on snail mail. :-(

The Kestrel 18:52 02 Feb 04

If you bought your laptop locally, you should be able to take it to the supplier, and ask them to install the necessary files for you.

My computer came without the fax installed, but luckily I received a recovery disc from which I was able to install the necessary files.

Stuartli 08:39 03 Feb 04

Do you have a copy of the XP CD on your HDD?

From Win95 there were also excellent fax programs available under wms.exe and Awfax.exe - Windows Messaging Service is virtually identical in layout and use to Outlook Express, whilst the fax program offers facilities such as Cover Page design.

You can install them from a Win95, 98 etc CD-ROM if you have one.

Cesar 09:36 03 Feb 04

Why don't you contact the supplier of your computer and ask for a recovery disc, not only fax is missing but you won't be able to repair or re-install Windows XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…