Combo drives or not?

staples printer cartridge 19:03 11 May 04

Was wondering if anyone would like to offer an opinion on replacing my existing drives. I have separate CD-RW and DVD drives at the minute and although are both are what I require they are starting to fail. I do not need a DVD Writer so would be simply replacing both; but PCPro have a combo drive reviewed MSI MS05-8448 which looks quite good. Any opinions gratefully received and if anyonme has any idea where to get this particular drive 'cos I can't find it anywhere.

Diodorus Siculus 19:14 11 May 04

I have a preference for individual drives - use the RW drive for that purpose only and the DVD for playing DVDs / CDs. As I say, it is only a preference with no real logic behind it.

Diodorus Siculus 19:16 11 May 04

click here for one maybe...

billy 19:19 11 May 04

I,ve been thinking about one myslef. PCAdvisor also review soclick here here that look good for around £60

ted bear 19:37 11 May 04

only problem with combo drives is if something breaks you have lost both cd and dvd drive not just one. i had a samsung combo and it was crap - might be i was unlucky.

keith-236785 19:58 11 May 04

ted bear has a good point about it going wrong,

I have a combo cd/rw + dvd drive

and also have a seperate cdrom, just to make it easier to copy disks.

a combo drive is on the shelf at pcworld, (i was in there today) click here

or

click here for an OEM drive which may require software seperately ie. Nero or adaptec etc. If you already have Nero then you dont have anything to lose.

Delivery is £4.99 unless you live in the coventry area, delivery is also very very good, normally one to two days from ordering.

Dipso 21:47 11 May 04

Same as ted bear for me. I had a combo Samsung drive. Just don't go for Samsung.

Dipso 21:48 11 May 04

Same as ted bear for me. I had a combo Samsung drive. Just don't go for Samsung.

Dipso 21:48 11 May 04

Dipso 21:54 11 May 04

Sorry about that!

Dan the Confused 22:09 11 May 04

I've just installed a Lite-On Combo Drive (52x32x52x CD-RW & 16x DVD-ROM) which cost £50 and works fine (although the bundled In-CD caused 100% CPU usage so I deleted it).

Of course, now that I've said this it'll probably go belly-up tomorrow ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…