Combining free security software

The Mountaineer 13:28 17 Jun 09

I would appreciate some advice about combining the best free security software programmes on a laptop running on Windows XP. I will shortly be conducting a clean reinstall of Windows on my laptop to give to my brother in law (in Kathmandu)and I want to ensure he has the best combination of antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware which he can keep up to date for free on his steam driven dial-up internet connection. I'm aware of the availability of AVG, Avast, Adaware, etc etc and a few months back read an article in one of the mags about combinations so as to avoid conflicts, but ....... being a Panda user didn't keep the blasted article! Now I need it ... sod's law rules. Anyway I would appreciate people's experience so I can clean this laptop and get things installed for him.
Ta

rawprawn 13:39 17 Jun 09

My coice would be
Avast for AV
ZoneAlarm Firewall
Super Antispyware to check for malware
and
Spywareblaster running in the background
Remember you cannot use 2 AV's at the same time they create a conflict.

DippyGirl 14:59 17 Jun 09

Malwarebytes Antimalware (Free) is another good malware scanner
Comodo is another firewall you may want to consider
...if on dialup getting refreshes of the signature files may be problematic (slow!)

gazzaho 17:00 17 Jun 09

Only ever use one anti-virus and firewall. I use F-Secure Internet Security 2009 for anti-virus and firewall which is a commercial product, but you wouldn't go wrong with rawprawns suggestion. I use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware myself run separately as a belt and braces approach. Web of Trust is also a good addition to your web browser as it graphically lists and blocks unsafe sites in search engines.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 17 Jun 09

Read Skidzy "Safe and clean computers" thread further down the page it has all the info you will need about free software.

The Mountaineer 17:29 17 Jun 09

OK everyone, thanks for your very quick responses. Looks like it's Zone Alarm, plus SpywareBlaster, plus SuperAntispyware, plus either Avast (rawprawn) or AVG (skidzy's article).
Just the ticket!
Ta
Thread closed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…