Combining c &d drives on laptop

Wrabitt 12:25 09 Mar 08

My Sony VGN-FE11H c drive partition is virtually full but d is unused.Both labelled & NTFS formatted. I have the free Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 installed on C. I want to expand or merge so I can extend the lappy's life but need exact instructions from a geek to do so as I am scared of destroying everything!

HELP! (an old codger)

Wrabitt8

MAT ALAN 12:57 09 Mar 08

THEN DON'T, just use D:/ as an extra drive, you can transfer docs/files or load stuff straight to it...

uesquebeathus 14:28 09 Mar 08

it is highly possible that the "D" partition was made for the Laptop recovery system and could be where the recovery files are stored.
Please check the space and search for any hidden and or protected files.
I have just went through a similar situation where the owner had formated and then deleted the drive, but when the laptop crashed on him recently it could not be restored.

FreeCell 10:13 11 Mar 08

Some manufactures/suppliers partition a hard drive into two virtual discs c: and d:. I have a Toshiba like this. Are they similar size? Use My Computer, right click and select Manage option. Select Disk Management and it will tell the formatting, size and free space available in each partition. A Recovery partion will be much smaller than the main partition.

If they are similar in size and show as healthy than as Mat Alan says start to use the D: drive for data. You can move My Documents in XP by right clicking on the My Documents folder select Properties and then enter a new folder on your D; drive in the Target Location box on the Target tab page. Select Move button.

You can install programs here as well but this will mean uninstalling from C: and on re-install selecting a folder on the D: drive. May also be a good time to remove any programs you no longer use as your discs are getting cluttered.

Wrabitt 18:56 11 Mar 08

Thanks for your responses. I will just transfer data from the C partition (46GB) to the D (36GB). This was my 1st Laptop after 20 years of desktop PCs, bought 24 months ago. It was chosen partly for its reasonably large drive but I think I will get a 1000gb desktop fairly soon. Unfortunately presumably with Vista :( !

Wrabitt

FreeCell 19:35 11 Mar 08

You can always use an external hard drive if you have lots of data you need to keep access to. Lot cheaper than a desktop, and provides some data security in case of disk failure on the laptop.

If you want XP then you can still find some machines with it. MS have not (yet) pulled the plug on suppliers providing it and forcing them to only ship Vista. Look at Dell for one, and I am sure there are others still providing XP if that's what you prefer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now