Is a combined wired/wireless network possible?

cyberphobic 08:04 26 May 04

I currently have a wired network which distributes broadband access to 4 PCs using a router and a 6 port hub, it works well and I don't want to change it! Having just acquired a laptop the benefits of a wireless connection are very obvious. I have been told that it would be possible to configure a wireless connection for the laptop without disrupting the existing wired network, but I can't get my head round where I would put the wireless " sender" and whether I would need to change the network's settings to include the wireless connection. The 4 desktops are on XP Pro and the laptop is on WIN 98 SE. Can anyone help with this please?

mrdsgs 08:10 26 May 04

plug wireless access point into ncurrent network hub.

connect wireless network card (probably usb version) into laptop.

follow the instructions that come with access point and wireless lan card.

wired and wireless will peacefully coexist!

mrdsgs

cyberphobic 14:07 26 May 04

At the moment the lead from the ADSL modem goes into the Router, then the Router feeds into the upload socket on the the hub. How would I connect the wireless access point into the hub?

cyberphobic 21:41 26 May 04

refresh

Charence 22:49 26 May 04

On the existing Hub/Switch connect one of the ethernet ports to the WiFi Access Point. Connect the Wireless Access Point (AP) as you would do for any other networked computer. The AP would send and receive signals with any other nearby WiFi devices and send them back into the Hub/Switch, where your network is connected.

For a good deal on WiFi products I recommend click here

If I haven't explained it properly, contact me for more details.

Charence

cyberphobic 18:47 01 Jun 04

Thanks for your help, will now order the kit I need for this project, might be back if I get stuck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…