Columns in MS Word - Calling all Word experts!

Mysticnas 10:52 21 Sep 04

Hi all,

I'm kind of stuck.

I have a document and want to put columns in it. I inserted the 2 coloumns at the bottom of the 1st page, can carried on with the rest of the document as normal.

I've now decided i want the columned text moved to the top of the 2nd page. So i tried to move it over, and it loses it's columns.

I tried to re-apply the columns but it's just not working. I tried to apply to "selected text only" "selected section only".

"Selected text" doesn't do anything at all, and "selected section" just changes the whole page to columns.

Anyone know of a solution or where i could be going wrong?

Thanks.

Mike D 10:55 21 Sep 04

Silly question...

Is page 2 formated for columns or is it a new section which is set up as a normal page?

If it formatted for columns, you should be able to simply cut and paste to the new location.

MIke

Mike D 10:55 21 Sep 04

Silly question...

Is page 2 formatted for columns or is it a new section which is set up as a normal page?

If it formatted for columns, you should be able to simply cut and paste to the new location.

MIke

Mysticnas 10:58 21 Sep 04

not sure i understand...

I have columns within normal paragraph text.

and i currently have a columned section that i want to move to else where in the document, but when i insert it there it won't let my column it without effecting the rest of the text on the page.

VoG II 11:09 21 Sep 04

Insert/Break, Section Break, Continuous before and after the part that is in columns.

Taff36 11:12 21 Sep 04

You need to insert "Breaks" of different types to achieve this. Which version of word are you using?

To start with insert a Section Break - Next Page at the end of page one to force the columns to the top of page two. (Insert>Break>Section Break - Next Page)

Mike D 11:12 21 Sep 04

When you format columns the whole of the document will be affected unless you contain the columns with a section. It sounds as if this is what is happening now, but when you try to move the text you are moving to a different section which, if not formatted for columns will obviously look normal, but if you format page 2 for columns and then try to move the text, then the whole of the rest of the document is affected because there is no section break after the new columns.

Try this:
1 Put your cursor at the bottom of page 1 and Insert a Section Break on "next Page".

2 Put your cursor on page2 and Format Columns.

3 Cut and Paste text.

4 If you do not want the rest of the document to have columns, Insert another Section break, this one "Continuous" and Format to remove columns from the new section.

5 If the original text location is not to have coumns format this section to no columns as well.

Mike

Taff36 11:15 21 Sep 04

Morning VOG !

Re-arrange the threads. Mine first then VOG`s and you should have it!

Mysticnas 11:16 21 Sep 04

Office 2003

Mysticnas 11:28 21 Sep 04

it's just not happening.

I've tried to follow the instructions, but the columns just don't work on the 2nd page.

Mysticnas 11:34 21 Sep 04

there is already a Continuous section break before and after the columned bit.

When i insert a page break, it sends it to the next page, but in a list.

Does it make a different if the text is bulleted?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…