Column sizing different on some pages even tho...

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 15:13 10 Oct 05

I used the same original page to create each of them (Just 'saved as' different names, and changed txt content).

Should changing the text content alter the size of the cells?

Here's a link... site not up an running yet, so excuse lack of pretty much everything!

Look forward to hearing why you think this is happening.

click here

If you clikc through each of the locations (apart from Africa and France) you'll see that the midline between the two columns changes positions, even though the cells in the table are all setup the same.

I'm using Namo WebEditor 4 if that makes any difference.

Forum Editor 15:42 10 Oct 05

when I click through.

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 15:44 10 Oct 05

That's really weird.

It IS a very small movement mind.

Try clicking between the 'Wrexham' and 'Warrington' page. Pay attention to the words Meeting times. They seem to shift (in all browsers). Only slightly though

Forum Editor 16:07 10 Oct 05

there is a very small shift.

Are you familiar with CSS (Cascading style sheets)?

It's the real way to stop things like that happening. To change the layout of the site, all you need to do is change the style sheets; you don't need to edit the pages themselves at all.

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 16:09 10 Oct 05

I'm not familliar, and although I'm wanting to learn, I don't have time before getting this site done. Is there any way to fix it going down the standard route?

Forum Editor 17:04 10 Oct 05

to hold what you put in it - even if you have set specific cell dimensions in the HTML code.

You can set the minimum width for a table cell but you can't stop the width expanding to fit the content. You can easily set the mimimum width in a table cell ( and stop and empty cell from collapsing) by inserting a transparent gif and setting its width to the pixel width you want for the cell.

If you're not sure how to create a transparent gif, let me know and I'll email one to you.

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 17:10 10 Oct 05

Thanks for that. I'm OK with making a transparent gif, but wouls rather address the problem as the cell contents do not fill the cell.

Forum Editor 17:24 10 Oct 05

make sure that you have aligned the bold text correctly at the top of the cell.

You'll really address the problem by using CSS - it isn't that difficult to pick up.

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 18:40 10 Oct 05

OK, I'm looking at CSS now and it doesn't seem so bad. I have, however, decided to stop reading when I came across the following terminology:

CSS2 - The :first-child Pseudo-class

Too much for my little brain, but I should have enough to be getting on with! Thanks for that FE

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 19:05 10 Oct 05

Right, need a little help with this CSS.

I used Namo to create my first .html page with internal CSS.

click here to view the page.

In Opera, it shows the page like this...
"h1 {font-size: 150%} h2 {font-size: 120%} p {font-size: 100%}
This is my first CSS use!
This is my SECOND CSS use!

And this is some normal text :)"

So it seems to be showing some of the CSS info.

In IE, I can see NOTHING!

Any pointers?

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 22:24 10 Oct 05

I'm bumping myself

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…