coloured box on icon writing on desktop.

j1m 12:21 22 Apr 03

hey peeps, i have installed windows xp and having aproblem with the icons on the desktop, its not the icons themselves its the writing underneath them, the writing is correct but there is a block colour behind it, i can change the colour but i do not know how to remeove it so its just the writing any ideas????? :-)

MAJ 14:04 22 Apr 03

Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Performance section and tick the second last option in that box i.e. "Use Drop Shadows for icon labels on the desktop".

Lú-tzé 14:05 22 Apr 03

You cannot remove the colour as far as I know - only make it as close as possible to the background colour / image.

Go to display properties / appearance / desktop colour and choose one from there.

Lú-tzé 14:07 22 Apr 03

Nothing for 100 mins so I throw in my tuppenceworth and then a useful answer is there before me... such is life! :-}

MAJ 14:11 22 Apr 03

LOL sorry about that, mate. ;-)

Djohn 14:19 22 Apr 03

Yes you can remove the coloured background completley, and just have clear text.

Mine is that way, and was so by default on install, will have a look for you and post back. J.

MAJ 14:24 22 Apr 03

Shhhhhhushhh, don't tell Djohn we're here. shhhhhh

Djohn 14:36 22 Apr 03

LOL, Ok guys, you need to forgive an old man, with an even older brain, takes a while to click into gear, warm up, but then goes empty again even quicker.

Well I have just spent the last couple of minutes fiddling around, and found the answer! :o(

Please do as MAJ says in his post above, but don't tell him, I said so! :o)

MAJ 14:40 22 Apr 03

Too many Easter Eggs, Djohn? ;-)

Lú-tzé 15:45 22 Apr 03

OK - I'm going away for a few days so will be ever more quiet- I think I need the rest. Good luck guys with finding clear text for j1m.

canard 20:23 22 Apr 03

Webattack USED to offer CLICICON which removes the colorblock. I see they don't anymore. If you can face the idea of an email attachment I'll send it to you. It's extremely easy to use. You need to make a shortcut to click each time you start your pc to activate the transparency. It all depends on how much the colour is getting to you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…