The colour of recordable media

jack 22:33 09 Dec 05

Pure curiosity this,
Various brands/non brands of recordable CD come in a range of recording surface colours from silver through various shades silver green to dark green even.
I have recently purchased a pack of unbranded 'printables'- They work well enough to record on and to print-
The recording side is Black.
A nice shiny Henry Ford shade of black

What is ithe significance of the varying colours if any?

SANTOS7 22:39 09 Dec 05

click here
this may help..

josie mayhem 22:57 09 Dec 05

My DVD R's are a nice shade of mauve, but another brand of DVD R's are gold. but when it comes to playing any recordings on the DVD player to watch any recordings via the TV, I can't use the gold ones as these wont read on the player.

I think that the different colours are just what type of raw materials/dyes a particular manufacturer may use rather than technical spec, it just happens if you have a older player that isn't set up to read RW etc. sometime the colour can fool the player into reading the disk.

jack 08:37 10 Dec 05

Thank you SANTOS7
An interesting piece I guess black must be the colour for 2006 huh!
I'll record you a little someithing in black.

PaulB2005 08:40 10 Dec 05
  jack 12:20 10 Dec 05

PaulB2005
This is a very interesting item.
An initial 'onscreen read' suggrests how it is folk that save images [say] to an 'opendisk' to 'topup' later find that after time data has dissappeared- it has been scrambled by subsquent writings.
So the safest way here it would seem would be to batch up a 'diskful' and burn it closed.
They are cheap enough nowadays.

PaulB2005 12:31 10 Dec 05

Yes. When you can buy 50 Sony CDRs for £20 in Sainsbury i always recommend using one per backup (or more if need be) and keepin the last 3 sets.

Never use Multisession anymore. No Point....

jack 16:48 10 Dec 05

Thank you all for that. another nugget to our knowledge collection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…