colour problems

Renée 17:13 26 Jul 03

I run a Windows 98 SE computer with 10GB hard disc and 192 MB RAM. Recently, I had a bad time installing the Asus External CD-RW. I have already uninstalled then re-installed it and did manage to copy my latest pictures. They appeared on the CD as I expected but then, each time I tried to do anything with them the computer grumbled and crashed or froze. I persevered over several days and did get something going (using the CD drive, chiefly) but then everything went haywire and I couldn?t open any of them. Finally, all the icons changed one at a time and I watched as they changed again and 3 letters appeared on the icons, one by one. I can?t recall the letters but they did indicate that they were not going to be opened by me or anyone else now or ever! What have I done wrong? The computer was not at all happy and made complaining noises, as did I. I tried again this morning and although I was able to put them on the screen after a lot of effort, the computer didn?t like it. I tried other CDs and they were OK. So I?ve wiped the disc. Maybe it?s a duff disc.

Now there are several things wrong with the computer; the colours are not right. The first thing that came up when I clicked OE was a blue notice (before the OE and Dialup window appeared.) Now it?s white and the colours in photos are weird. I?ve rebooted a couple of times and there?s no change. I?ve checked the display and it shows 256 colours. Is there anything I can do to rectify it?
Any suggestions will be welcome.

Silver Surfress.

Forum Editor 17:29 26 Jul 03

You don't mention the software that you used to try to work on your images, and it would help to know that.

Your display settings have certainly gone AWOL, and the first thing to do is to reset them. As you may know, you do that by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting 'properties' from the menu that appears. Click on the 'settings' tab (I'm working blind here, because I'm running WindowsXP) or whatever in Win98 that shows you two sliders - one with the resolution, and one with the colour bit depth. Move the resolution slider until it reads 1024x768, and then see if you can move the colour bit setting until it shows '16 bit'.

If that works you should now be seeing a better display.

If it doesn't work you may have a corrupted or missing graphics card driver, or monitor driver, or both, and we'll deal with that if it crops up.

I'm puzzled - and a tad concerned - over these 'complaining noises' that you say your machine is making. Can you describe them in greater detail, and tell us precisely at what point in the proceedings they happen?

Diemmess 18:21 26 Jul 03

Something really is upset!

It is only a faint hope, but if you haven't tried running ... scanreg /restore ... you can at least try.

The idea is to reset the registry to a successful boot sequence from before it all went sideways.

If you want to try this then on booting the computer from cold press F8 repeatedly after the initial sequence and before it reaches "verifying DMA pool" etc. .........You then have a choice on the DOS screen. Pick "Command Prompt Only" and at the C:> prompt type scanreg etc - exactly as shown earlier in this posting.

You will be offered the last five days when it booted succesfully. Pick the one before things went badly wrong and then follow the prompts.

At best this will take you to a normal screen and you will still have to resolve the problem with the CDRW. At least you shouldn't have to keep wondering what disater comes next?

woodchip 19:53 26 Jul 03

If I was you I would first run SFC from Start/Run with your windows disc in the computer. It will look for corrupt files. After you have done that, right click My Computer click properties check Device Manager for yellow marks. And post back hear

Renée 10:44 27 Jul 03

To Diemmess - Thanks Your advice is a bit beyond me! It sounds like advice for XP. Perhaps I.m wrong. enee

Renée 10:47 27 Jul 03

Thanks for your help. What is SFC ? I have little technical experience.

VoG II 10:51 27 Jul 03

is System File Checker.

Click on Start, Run and type in

SFC /SCANNOW

and click on OK.

(note the space before /)

Insert your Windows CD when prompted.

If that doesn't work follow Diemmess suggestion:

Start, Run and type in

SCANREG /RESTORE

and click OK.

Renée 11:05 27 Jul 03

The response to suggestion 1 was "...paramenters not vaid or recognised" To suggestion 2 was "Cannot resore from Windows. Shutdown to DOS and run scanreg exe / restore. Either way I'm flummoxed! Thanks, though

VoG II 11:10 27 Jul 03

Are you sure that you entered the SFC command exactly as I posted it?

Note - there are 2 Ns in "SCANNOW"

Renée 12:14 27 Jul 03

I've just checked my photos again. One problem seems to be Photoshop Elements. Ones opened in Adobe Photo DL are OK. Thumbnails stored in My Documents in original Photosh E are corrupt. Previously stored photos on disc work fine on both. there doesn't seem to be any cosistency but the fly in the ointment seems to be Elements. Shall I uninstall it? could that be the answer?

Renée 12:18 27 Jul 03

Yes, yes! I've just tried again with the same response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…