Collecting emails from someone elses computer?

pj123 18:31 19 Jul 03

My NTL broadband has gone down again. I am using a friends computer (on AOL) to try to collect my emails. When I log on to NTL using my ID and password all I get is "Session Invalid. This message occurs because you have either previusly logged out or your session has automatically timed out. Please click here to log in". When I do the "click here" bit I just get the same message. I have rung the NTL helpdesk 4 times today but no help is forthcoming. The NTL engineer is booked to arrive on Wednesday 23rd July sometime between 8am and 12noon. In the meantime I am using someone else's computer to log on to the internet. Fortunately, it is on a monthly sub so no phone bills. Anyone got any ideas or have had the same problem?

Valvegrid 18:35 19 Jul 03

I'm on NTL BB and have two accounts and I do get this sometimes on either one or the other account, I've found it usually comes back the next day or so. I think NTL do have the occasional problems with their email sevice. How long have you been trying?

Paul.

keith-236785 18:38 19 Jul 03

my advice is to click here , sign up, (this is for dial up, not broadband) then set outlook express (or whatever you use) to check your ntlworld account.

hope it works

Smiler 18:46 19 Jul 03

What you are trying to do is access your account on the wrong computer so that is why you get the "session invalid" message.
If you need to access your e-mails you need to set up a new account in your friends e-mail reader. Goto accounts select add new account. filling your details into a new account. You need your name, your e-mail address,incoming mail server name (pop.ntlworld.com),outgoing mail server name(smpt.ntlworld.com), User name (the one you are known to ntlworld by, probably the first part of your e-mail address before @ntlworld.com), and your password (this was given to you when you registered with ntlworld).
Hope this helps

Smiler 18:49 19 Jul 03

The outgoing mail server should read smtp.ntlworld.com. Sorry

Rayuk 18:52 19 Jul 03

I beg to differ with you,using the webmail all you need is your e-mail address and password to see any mail.

That is what the service is for so you can retrieve your email on any pc.

Have done this using my brothers pc

Smiler 18:56 19 Jul 03

how do you join webmail and how much does it cost??

pj123 19:07 19 Jul 03

Thanks for the responses. smiler, there is no wrong computer. You should be able to access your emails from any computer, anywhere in the world. It is called webmail. All you do is log on to your isp home page and then click on read mail or whatever your isp describes it as. NTL calls it Webmail. Enter your ID and Password and you should be able to retrieve you emails.

Smiler 19:11 19 Jul 03

Ok I realised after I sent the last response just what you meant. You didn't explain that by going to ntlworld.com it is possible to access e-mails knowing only your e-mail address and the password given by ntlworld when I originally joined. Never gave it a thought. Cheers I'll remember this next time I'm on hols.

palinka 19:14 19 Jul 03

And you can always use click here on any computer and pick up your mail from there.

Djohn 19:25 19 Jul 03

I think the problem is with AOL. Although you can receive e-mail from any form of account or ISP as long as it is addressed to AOL, I don't think you can retrieve other forms of e-mail through AOL.

If I want to check my e-mail from my PAYG account with another ISP, I need to log off AOL and re-dial the ISP to read the POP3 mail using IE. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…