Cold start boot failure

sinbads 14:17 28 Jan 07

I have been having this problem for a while now and have been unable to resolve this problem

Problem

First thing in the morning boot fails detecting drives, pressing restart it will boot normally.
once running i am able to reboot as many times as i like with no problems; however i now find i am having to reset several time before it will boot normally.

So far

I have scanned the drives no faults

reseated mem sticks and cards

checked fans , connections and poss overheating

replaced ide ribbons

replaced cmos battery/rest default bios settings

and today replaced the psu which could be the cause ;but will not know till i start the computer tommorow morning.

and yes have made backups

Your thoughts on a possible solution would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 28 Jan 07

HDD not always detected in BIOS
As drives get older, they can take longer to get up to speed and become ready (available). This can then exceed the time it takes for the booting to look for the drive - so it doesn't find it.
The solution is often to make the initial part of the boot take longer, by disabling "Quick power on self test and/or making the system look for the floppy drive first by enabling "floppy seek".
Some BIOS even have a facility to put in a delay before the hard disk is checked.

sinbads 16:07 28 Jan 07

thanks for your reply ;but there is no option in the bios for quick power on self test, and bios is allready set to floppy/CD/HD the bios is old ;but reluctant to flash and in any case i dont feel that this would resolve the problem.

I am hoping the psu solve the issue;but not holding my breath.

any other ideas?

sinbads 21:40 28 Jan 07

anyone else any ideas?

ed-0 21:54 28 Jan 07

make and model of motherboard?

have you an option for quick boot, fast boot.

chrisbenwalker 22:02 28 Jan 07

I had the exact same problem, once warm would boot every time, but when cold always had to restart, sometimes up to 10 times, maybe more......was a faulty motherboard. Had previously done all you have, and replaced motherboard as last resort, which fixed it.

sinbads 22:23 28 Jan 07

ed-0

its a packard bell NEC

mother board is gigabyte 8siml v2 with no option for quick boot/fast detect.

chrisbenwalker

I know there have been several threads about this problem with no real answer The annoying thing is I cannot pin it down to any one thing, Allthough you may be correct and possibly a motherboard fault.

If the replacement psu doesn't do the trick I'll try the hairdrier trick.

could be a dry joint/bad connection/ faulty cap have to wait till morning to find if it works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…