Coke spilt on Laptop, Power light comes on

t.long 20:15 07 Jul 09

My friends son spilt - or rather pured - coke over her laptop, specificly the keyboard/trackpad. She did try and "shake out" the liquid but unsurprisingly the laptop is not working. When turned on the power light comes on for a few seconds then the machine turns off, the screen remains blank.

Appreciate that its most likly beyound saving but does anyone have any ideas on if it can be saved.

Technotiger 20:24 07 Jul 09

Unfortunately Coke is one of the worse liquids to deal with on a laptop, it dries like glue! Other than completely stripping down the laptop and very carefully cleaning/drying each and every component, I am afraid you will probably have to consider your lappie, deceased!

'Twould cost a small fortune for any repair shop to sort it.

Sorry I can only offer such rotten prospects!

OTT_Buzzard 20:26 07 Jul 09

Don't think there's much choice here but to open it up, strip it apart and clean. Not sure you'd use to get the dried coke residue off with. TIM cleaner perhaps? Check for a completely eveaporative, non conductive, non corrosive liquid!

It's a good idea not to try and power the laptop up until you think all the coke's out of it. You may end up causing damage.

A service center or your local PC repair shop may be worth getting a quote from to do all this if you're not confident.

Giant68 21:04 07 Jul 09

I had a similar thing happen to mine. It was out of warranty and wasn't worth a lot so I removed the battery and the dvd rom drive and put the carcass in a bowl of warm water for a couple of hours. Shook the water out of it and put it in the airing cupboard to dry for a week. Put it all back together and it worked. Apart from the fact that the acid in the coke had damaged the membrane under the keyboard, second hand one from ebay for a tenner and everything is fine. But I had nothing to lose with this one and it is a risk.

Regards
Giant68

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:41 07 Jul 09

Forget all the faffing around and send in an insurance claim.

G

t.long 18:24 18 Jul 09

Thanks for the suggestions guys - and girls? Laptop was out of warranty/no insurance so with nothing to loose, went ahead with Giant68s suggestion.

The laptop is now working fine, the number 8 key is a little "sticky" but thats it. So I guess it realy does work.

Technotiger 18:29 18 Jul 09

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

OTT_Buzzard 18:31 18 Jul 09

Amazing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…