Codecs

Head hurts 18:15 08 Oct 05

It seems so easy download an av file and windows media player 10 will play it. well not so i have downloaded many many codecs divex etc and still no joy i can hear the sound but just get a black screen. so is there any programme that i can run that will say you need this codec or is that too simplistic. i am not a novice user although it sometimes seems so but on the other hand i am not able to seemingly understand all this codec nonsence i have been on several sites and i normally black out before i can find the answer i have media player 10 fully up to date as far as i am aware. please someone put me out of my misery.

MAJ 18:34 08 Oct 05

"so is there any programme that i can run that will say you need this codec"

Try G-spot, Head hurts. click here

bloo meeny 21:24 08 Oct 05

I've used this ELISOFT codec pack for over a year now without problems. It has saved me all the hassle of trying to determine which codecs may be required. I stil have windows 98se, so use Media Player v9, but the above is claimed to work with all windows versions.

click here

The page is in Spanish (there is a link to a 'google' English translation bottom left) but the pack is really easy to download and install.
Scroll down the page for the download links (the one you want is the latest v14.0)
Note that it comes with it's own uninstaller too.

ashdav 01:07 09 Oct 05

Forget WMP, Download the megacodecpack 1.38 click here
and use Media Player Classic in future. To watch DVDs scroll down the available codecs and select Elecard for Mpeg2 then Ligos in the section below it. After this you can watch/listen to anything. It doesn't have the fancy backgrounds for audio tracks but there's more to life than watching pretty patterns.

ashdav 01:12 09 Oct 05

In addition MPC also plays internet media streaming formats without any hassle.

Monoux 09:25 09 Oct 05

bookmark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…