Codec 55

turnip 60 10:17 30 Aug 04

Can anyone please help. Every time i try to play a music file i get the message'THE AUDIO CODEC IDENTIFIED BY THE FORMAT TAG 55 IS REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS FILE'. I have tried everything i know but cant cure it. even tried to uninstall Windows media player but no luck.
I have Windows XP pro. and using windows media player 9.
Please help me.

no-name 10:25 30 Aug 04

turnip 60 a similar problem answered here click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:28 30 Aug 04

CODEC FINDER 5.1 click here

no-name 10:29 30 Aug 04

An answer from that site:

Format tags, such as tag 55, are used by the Player to identify which decoder to use to play back your content. If you get the following error message, "The audio codec identified by the format tag 55 is required to play this file", then the MP3 decoder on your computer has become corrupted or damaged in some way, and needs to be replaced. To fix this problem on a computer running Windows XP and Windows Media Player 9 Series:

From the Start menu, click Search.
Under What do you want to search for? click All files and folders.
Under All or part of the file name, type l3codeca.acm
Click Search.
When the results are displayed, right-click the file and then click Rename. Rename the file l3codeca.bak
Open Windows Media Player.
From the Help menu, click Check for Updates. An up-to-date version of l3codeca.acm will be installed on your computer.

turnip 60 10:59 30 Aug 04

Sorry guys i have tried all that you advised but i still get the same response regarding the missing tag 55.if all else fails can anyone tell me how to uninstall windows media player so that i can reinstall after.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 30 Aug 04

Media player sucks

try one of these free players instead

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…