\code store database\distribution units ??

daba 20:40 27 Feb 04

Spybot S&D has found this key in registry

HKLM\software\microsoft\code store database\distribution units\ followed by a reg key string.

Does anyone know what it is, and whether I should let S&D get rid of it.

Win 98SE.

daba 21:09 27 Feb 04

^

Taran 22:01 27 Feb 04

I have entries in the same location in the registry but on two Windows XP systems.

My entries are full of references to Microsoft Office Update, as follows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE}\DownloadInformation

target URL is:

click here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\Microsoft XML Parser for Java

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Global Namespace\Java Packages

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Global Namespace\Java Packages\java

and so on, and so on, and so on...

My systems are absolutely 100% clear of any virus and/or trojan infections and Spybot, which I installed and updated purely out of curiosity, did not highlight these registry keys on my systems.

Having said that, this registry key is one that can show values relating to certain virus infections. Without the final part of the registry key it is impossible to tell whether or not it is something to worry about.

daba 22:25 27 Feb 04

Yes, I forgot to mention the actual name SS&D flagged up - So I've run it again.

Done some searching meantime, and as you say, this folder itself is innocuous.

The key ID was {A0F0D762-D1DE-43AF-870E-D87864743EB3}, and product name is VX2/?.

My guess its a newer version of the VX2/a,b,c etc range in ad-aware from mindset interactive, although its not certain, stands a good chance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…