CMOS SETTINGS WRONG WINDOWS 98SE?

rickimalone 20:03 02 Apr 04

Im fixing a pc for mother In law as it reboots and when it starts up it says

CMOS SETTINGS WRONG

PRESS F1 TO RUN SETUP

PRESS F2 TO LOAD DEFAULT VALUES AND CONT.

What are CMOS SETTINGS????????

Graham ® 20:15 02 Apr 04

Short for complementary metal oxide semiconductor. It stores the time and date. Put a new battery in the motherboard.

Gongoozler 20:15 02 Apr 04

These are the same as BIOS settings. They are the basic settings that get the computer started before Windows is loaded. The BIOS is in flash memory, and the settings for it are stored in memory known as CMOS. These settings are maintained by a battery. If they are wrong, you can restore them to the safe default settings, and then adjust them to your requirements.

Graham ® 20:16 02 Apr 04

Also click here

woodchip 20:16 02 Apr 04

It's a small program that starts your computer consisting of several bit of software that recognises you hardware before it load’s the Operating System. When you start the Computer it will say on the Black Screen something Like "To Enter Setup Press Del" for the Delete Key. You may try resetting the Default settings to see if it will start

rickimalone 20:18 02 Apr 04

Thanks guys, how do I adjust them?? do I start buy pressing F2 and load up default values??

If I do that where do i go from there??

Where can I get the battery, and what do I ask for?????

Gongoozler 20:22 02 Apr 04

For most purposes the default values are ok. If you want to adjust them, it's best to obtain the motherboard manual. If you don't know what moptherboard you have, download and run AIDA32 from click here. You should be able to get a battery from any computer accessory supplier. Otherwise you'll have to open the case. The battery is a silver coloured disk about 20mm diameter.

Gongoozler 20:24 02 Apr 04

How to find the battery? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…