CMOS settings error message

huzzar 12:29 26 Aug 03

I have replaced the battery on the mainboard but the problem still exists on my P111 Win98SE system.

At startup I get the Message; "CMOS checksum error" press F1 to load settings or Del to enter CMOS. selecting F1 starts windows OK but after shutdown and startup again the problem still exists. The timing is way out too and I beleive the battery to be a good one.

Can anyone tell me how to fix it please.

seedie 12:45 26 Aug 03

Could be a faulty battery. Can you check the voltage of it. There might even be a bit of protective film on it.

CD

huzzar 13:00 26 Aug 03

Thanks for that CD - the battery has a good reading and has no protective film etc on it.

JIM 13:02 26 Aug 03

after checking out seedie's suggestion you could try resetting the bios to the default setting,making sure that you enable Plug and Play.If you do change to default values,you may want to note what you have set up incase of returning to same.

Is it possible that you have made changes to the bios setup prior to your error?

huzzar 13:11 26 Aug 03

Thanks Jim, I reset the battery after checking it and restarted, the message I got was; "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded" click F1 to proceed or Del to enter CMOS. I clicked F1 to accept the Default settings and went into windows. I restarted the computer and it loaded OK so I am guessing that it might have been that the battery wasn't properly seated.

I think I am Ok now so thanks for your input.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…