cmos password

heezy45 14:17 14 Mar 08

Hi guys,
I have a little p[problem i thought u guys could help.an old pc i was working on shows a cmos password to be to be entered at boot so i cannot boot to windows.the pc is quite an old pc and does not have the usual 'watch type' so i dont know how to reset or disable the cmos password.i think is a pentium 1 pc so the cmos battery is different from the normal round one.
how do i disable this password and boot to windows?

SB23 14:33 14 Mar 08

I've just Googled, and read that if you are ever in this situation, to simply pull the battery out, which will reset the bios/ cmos settings, replace battery, then when it boots you can reset password to something you know.
I know you said its a different type of battery but can you disconnect it.

woodchip 14:40 14 Mar 08

The battery will be there but it may be a soldered in one. This is going back a long way. You need to de-solder one connection then resolder. battery will most likely be oblong

heezy45 15:36 14 Mar 08

i think i have seen what u are talking about woodchip.some black oblong chip.since i cant de-solder,can i remove and install the hard drive on another machine and format completly?
If thats the case how do i go about it?thanks very much.

woodchip 15:40 14 Mar 08

BIOS password is not on the Hard Drive it is kept in CMOS settings while the battery as power. the battery will only have two wires connected gto it

Arc hie 15:46 14 Mar 08

there should be a single red jumper (like a small plastic thing) that slides over 2 bits of wire, slide it off then move it over and slide t over the other 2, then slide it back again to where it was originally, cmos is now clear

woodchip 15:51 14 Mar 08

old computer do not have the jumper

Arc hie 15:54 14 Mar 08

it must be old.lol
Removing the battery as Woodchip has said.
Thanks Woodchip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5