CMOS defaults query

Happy37 17:21 14 Dec 09

Hello everyone...

I have got a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz PC, 2GB of RAM with Windows XP SP3 applied as well as all updates, and generally the PC runs very well.

Nevertheless, what I have been noticing is that the PC has been giving me a black BIOS start-up screens which appears once in a while.

It states on there that "CMOS defaults loaded" – press DEL for SETUP or F1 to continue, or words to that effect.

Even though I have replaced the motherboard's CR2032 watch type battery so that the timekeeping is accurate, why does this keep on happening?

What could be the cause, and has anyone else seen this behaviour before, and what can I do to stop this from re-occurring, please?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Happy37

howard64 17:36 14 Dec 09

I had this happen a few times and eventually found that the hard disk was dieing. Try the hard disk makers site and download their diagnostic software. Run it and this can normally repair minor faults.

Happy37 19:54 14 Dec 09

howard64

Evening - many thanks for your reply.

I have now replaced the CR2032 attery again with another new one and will see how things go.

Also, the HDDs that I have in my PC are brand new - I haven't had both of them for that long.

I am now running Scandisk on them just to be sure, and I will download and use the HDD manufacturer's utility from thier website just to check and make sure.

Any other thoughts, please?

TIA.

Happy37

Quiller. 20:23 14 Dec 09

cpu or memory overclocked?

Have you checked that your cpu and memory are running at the correct rate of speed and size.

Is SMART enabled in the bios, if you have it.

When you are asked to enter set up, do you press F10 to save and exit?

Happy37 20:32 14 Dec 09

Dick Tattor

Good evening - thanks for your comments.

No, my CPU and memory are not overclocked.

My CPU should run/is running at 2.4Ghz/2400Mhz - what should the settings for this be in the BIOS be set at, please?

For example, ratings etc...???

The memory is DDR333/400 - what should the settings for this be set at, please?

SMART is enabled in the BIOS.

ANy more thoughts - TIA.

Happy37

Happy37 20:36 14 Dec 09

Is there an exact way of doing this correctly, please - such as loading BIOS or SETUP defaults, and which should I choose?

What's the diffference between BIOS and SETUP defaults anyway?

Quiller. 20:38 14 Dec 09

" what should the settings for this be set at "

We would need your motherboard make and model number but if it reports a 2.4Ghz cpu and your memory is set to SPD in the bios, you should have covered most items.

Have you F10'd to save the bios setting on exit?

Quiller. 20:43 14 Dec 09

" Is there an exact way of doing this correctly, please - such as loading BIOS or SETUP defaults, and which should I choose? "

Yes. When you get hat screen, enter setup. Have a quick scan that your memory, cpu, optical and hard drives are shown correctley. Go to save and exit and the computer reboots.

" What's the diffference between BIOS and SETUP defaults anyway? "

They are the same. The load everything at the basic setting, so if there is a problem, the hardware is running at its minimal level.

If this is a desktop machine, make sure you have the power lead in, always, with the wall power switch on.

Happy37 20:43 14 Dec 09

Dick Tattor

My motherboard ia an ASUS P4PE and I am using a BIOS revision number 1001.

Does this help? - Yes, I did press F10 to asve my settings on exit.

Thanks again.

Happy37

Happy37 20:45 14 Dec 09

"Yes. When you get hat screen, enter setup. Have a quick scan that your memory, cpu, optical and hard drives are shown correctley. Go to save and exit and the computer reboots."

All of my items as per your post are shown and load correctly - it's just that th settings are not saved for some reason. that is waht I am querying.

Quiller. 20:45 14 Dec 09

and it's a desktop. You could go into elimination mode .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac