CMOS checksum error + additional messages

The Belarussian Mafia 18:19 07 Mar 05

Running Win98 SE on a 6-yr-old PC.

Flashed the bios to update it after a recent reinstallation of Windows as I have a large hard disk & other upgrades.

On 1st bootup after flash got message (accompanied by two short beeps and one long one) : CMOS checksum bad, press escape to run setup. Also something about "cannot recognise drive B" (no idea what that drive "B" refers to) followed by something about "no valid FAT or fat 32 partition" + "you may be using 3rd party partioning software" (which is true - Partition Magic).

Thought I might have lost the entire disk (which is newish), but removed battery overnight & bought a new one in the hope this would sort out the CMOS error. Everything back to normal after one false start (requiring date to be reset in BIOS).

Today, about ten boots later, the same happened (immediately after running "Drive Image" from a bootable floppy). Same messages. After exiting from BIOS I was left with an A:\ prompt. Ran scandisk from Win98 setup disk - no probs. Tried to boot again, but this time changed A prompt to a c prompt & everything loaded normally.

I'm now not sure whether this is just a bad flash (which, incidentally, I have repeated from the same file downloaded onto a floppy) a sign of a dying motherboard, the result of me accidentally touching something when I put the new battery in or possibly a dud new battery. Intuitively I suspect a bad flash.

Have read responses to previous threads on CMOS checksum errors. One suggetion was to go into BIOS and press "Save changes" before exiting (which I haven't done yet). Just thought I'd ask for some expert advice before giving this a go just in case things go pear-shaped again and I don't have a chance to come back online.

One other thought - could it possibly be related to some problem with the floppy drive (which was used immediately prior to each incident)?

Thanks!

dan11 18:35 07 Mar 05

I would enter the bios and go to standard cmos setup first. You will find the B drive listed under the floppy A.( both are reserved for floppy drives) set it to not installed.

then go to (probably) intergrated peripherals. Look for a setting like " reset configuration data" set this to enable.

F10 to save and reboot.

This should re-write your cmos checksum.

see if this improves things.;-)

The Belarussian Mafia 18:47 07 Mar 05

Thanks dan11 - I noticed something similar in a previous thread, but the array of possible solutions was a bit overwhelming. Sounds like you know what you're talking about, so I'll give it a go. If you don't hear back from me in the next 20 mins or so, I'm sunk...

(I'll wait 5 mins to see if any other comments appear.)

Chegs ® 19:03 07 Mar 05

I've had the CMOS checksum error,also after flashing my mobo.I rechecked the BIOS settings,fired it up again,and have never had a repeat(in 12 mths+)

Found this "Have you upgraded the BIOS? This could be your fix read on.
After upgrading the BIOS on a motherboard, the new BIOS will likely take up more bytes of ROM than the replaced BIOS. The difference in the BIOS image file byte count is detected by the system as a checksum error. CMOS checksum errors require that you enter Setup, check and save your settings, and exit Setup a second time. "

click here

The Belarussian Mafia 19:50 07 Mar 05

Thanks Chegs - as it happens that was the same link I referred to at the end of my explanation.

It has just taken me 40 minutes to backup my documents folder to an old 4x CD-RW. So I hope to be back 20 mins or so from now...

The Belarussian Mafia 20:22 07 Mar 05

Thanks guys - everything OK at present. The helproom forum strikes again...

Note: I saved the settings as suggested by Chegs ® - couldn't find the setting mentioned by dan11 - maybe its a different version of the BIOS (I have AMI P06 or something like that).

dan11 20:49 07 Mar 05

I thought with a 6 year old PC, it should be there.lol

It's basically the same.

each essential piece of hardware is assigned a numerical value. This is stored in the bios. If the sum of the value changes, you get checksum error ( the sum doesn't check ) . Reseting the sum changes the total in the bios and subsequent boots should match.

Glad you have it sorted:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…