CMOS checksum error

richierich 20:06 07 Dec 04

getting above message when i start machine. (says press del to enter setup or F1 to continue but nothing happens).

Diodorus Siculus 20:15 07 Dec 04

Sounds like a dead battery - can you change any settings manually?

richierich 20:18 07 Dec 04

Please explain what you mean by changing settings manually.
I cant get into the bios.
I will try the battery though, its a few years old.

Diodorus Siculus 20:37 07 Dec 04

If you can't get into the BIOS, then you will need to change the battery before anything else; often though it is possible to manually set the BIOS and continue until the next boot.

Diodorus Siculus 20:39 07 Dec 04

CH000237: CMOS checksum error
click here

What is meant by CMOS checksum error and how would this... - Q&A
click here

CMOS checksum errors
click here

richierich 23:18 07 Dec 04

intersting reading DS. seems to be possibly many things but a popular suggestion is the battery.
easiest to try out I suppose so iwill tommorow.
If I borrow a battery from another machine to test it out will I cause problems in the machine I borrow it from? Id hate to mess up a functioning pc.

Diodorus Siculus 07:37 08 Dec 04

richierich - don't take a battery out of a functioning PC - at the least, it will clear the BIOS and leave you having to reset the second PC as well.

richierich 15:56 08 Dec 04

thanks DS I wont take batt out of other machine, Ill get one I think they are cheap, its just a case of getting hold of one.

g0nvs 18:04 08 Dec 04

Dead battery.

Gongoozler 18:15 08 Dec 04

The battery is usually a CR2032 click here. and click here.

If a new battery doesn't fix the problem, then it is quite possible that the BIOS has become corrupted and that's much more tricky to fix.

Dorsai 18:23 08 Dec 04

RRP £6.95 my foot!! (7 day shop said)

If you have a Vauxhall dealer close to hand just pop down and ask for an alarm remote battery, Cr2032. If they dont have any i will me most surprised. Fits all car alarm remotes made since about 1998. I think the part number is 90541832.

About £1.74 but you dont have to wait for it in the post. and it is only 30p more that the link above.

£6.95..LOL.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…