CMOS battery/settings

Billy911 19:38 13 Mar 04

I have replaced the CMOS battery and although the Time & Date seem to keep okay, everytime I boot the PC it's showing a processor that is much slower than the one installed. Even if I change the settings they return to the slower processor when I reboot. What gives?

LastChip 19:46 13 Mar 04

when you change the settings in the BIOS, are you making sure you SAVE the settings before you leave?

Most BIOS's are arranged to be "fail safe". That is, unless you actually tell it to keep the settings you have chosen, nothing will happen.

Billy911 19:58 13 Mar 04

I think so but I'm not sure. I'll be honest, the PC is at my mothers and I won't be able to look at it until tomorrow. Thanks anyway, I'll give it a try and save the settings for certain.

keith-236785 20:03 13 Mar 04

is this a new setup or your old computer?

if its new then my thinking is that the default setting of Clear CMOS is set (normally a jumper on the motherboard) so no matter how many times you set the bios, it will always reset when you reboot.

if it is your old setup then i would go with LastChip's suggestion about saving the bios

normally on leaving the bios you would press F10 to save and exit (it will ask you to confirm), are you pressing Y then enter?

if it isnt either of these then only other thing i can think of is a corrupt bios which would require flashing (not for the faint hearted).

good luck, hope this helps

Billy911 20:14 13 Mar 04

It's an old PC, about 5 years. 533Mhz processor. It was working fine until I changed the battery. I've got a horrible feeling that I put the old battery back in instead of the new one as I remember someone distracting me at the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…