cmos battery

tooter 20:38 07 Mar 14

Hi I have an elderly 2008 Novatech clevo m57ru notebook computer, I think the cmos battery is failing because the clock looses, time up to 5 hours in a 24 hour period and the year reverts to 2020 and various other setting faults have appeared. Do you think it is the cmos battery at fault, if so were in the computer is it located? how difficult is it to replace? is it a common button type battery? Thanks for any help

Ian in Northampton 20:42 07 Mar 14

With that age of PC, and the symptoms you describe, it's almost certainly the CMOS battery. (I imagine, btw, that it's resetting to 2002, not 2020.... :-) ) The CMOS battery is located on your motherboard - the main printed circuit board in your PC. You should be able to locate it fairly easily, as it's a silver coin shaped battery. Usually, they're pretty easy to replace. Have a look, take it out - the type of battery will be inscribed on it, and you can almost certainly pick up a replacement on eBay for virtually no money.

Ian in Northampton 20:43 07 Mar 14

Whoops, sorry, I just noticed you said 'notebook'. That may make it slightly more difficult to do it yourself - it's very easy on a desktop.

tooter 20:51 07 Mar 14

It defiantly reverts to 2020 every day when I boot up, yes! I thought that strange as well, why 2020?

john bunyan 20:55 07 Mar 14

Have a look here:

CMOS

I had to get my local repair shop to change one on an Asus laptop; quite daunting. I think they charged about £30

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…