CMOS Battery

Technotiger 15:46 03 May 09

Hi, have just been given an old Compaq Presario 1260 lappie - I know, very old! I have no experience with laptops as such, question is, How does one access the CMOS battery for replacement purposes.

It has Win98, but will not complete Boot-up due to Real Time clock error 0270. Just a bit of fun really, but I would like to try and get it working if possible.

TIA for any help or suggestions.

Sea Urchin 16:05 03 May 09

It should look like the CMOS battery in a PC

click here

Here is a maintenance manual for the Presario 1600 series - hope it might help you

click here

Technotiger 16:20 03 May 09

Thanks for the links, I know what the battery looks like, but thanks anyway - what I need is the manual for the 1200 Series (1260), I have looked at the 1600 Series you linked to, but it is rather different to the actual 1260.

Sea Urchin 16:32 03 May 09

Here is a download for the 1200 series

click here

I'll go back to sleep now :@)

Technotiger 17:12 03 May 09

Apologies not necessary - I have downloaded the 1200 Manual from your link, but my PDF Reader (PDF Converter Pro) cannot read it!

I will try again later. Thanks.

Dinner time!

Sea Urchin 17:24 03 May 09

Curiouser and curiouser, said Sea Urchin :@)

Although the site says it's a .pdf file it is actually a .rar file

I used 7zip to unpack it, and now it IS a .pdf file. Hope it helps.

Enjoy your dinner.

Technotiger 17:39 03 May 09

Just used 7Zip - Presario file now saved as PDF.

Thanks again, will peruse after my din-dins.

Technotiger 20:34 03 May 09

After reading through the whole manual, I finally found the RTC (CMOS) battery location on the motherboard - at page 91 of 95!

But - to get at it virtually the whole laptop has to be dismantled. The instructions are pretty clear, and in my earlier days dismantling would be quite easy. No longer being in my earlier days/years, it is a whole different ball-game ggggg-game!! So it looks like a trip to my local friendly PC shop.

The laptop, although a freebie, does appear to be in good enough condition to spend a little cash on it, probably get a bigger capacity drive and a bit more RAM.

If nothing else, at least I have learned quite a bit about the old Presario lappie.

Thanks for your input, I shall now give this the Green tick!

Cheers ... TT

Sea Urchin 22:15 03 May 09

That's the sort of thing that happens to me - I always think I should have started reading the manual backwards :@) It didn't help that there was no detailed index to guide you.

Technotiger 17:50 04 May 09

Just an update - decided to have go at DIY - I managed to dig through to the CMOS battery and have removed it. Lappie is in bits, can't get new battery until tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on .........

To be cont'd :-)

Sea Urchin 19:01 04 May 09

Thanks - I shall wait for the next instalment with great interest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now