CMOS BATTERY

rickimalone 12:15 04 May 04

Is this battery charged in anyway when the computer is left on??

Taff36 12:22 04 May 04

In a Word - NO
It is usually a Lithium battery as used in cameras and will need replacing. (A small round flat battery) A simple operation in most modern computers. You usually know it`s on the way out when the computer time slows down. What problem are you having?

rickimalone 12:31 04 May 04

Evertime It turns on it tells me cmos setting are wrong...

I restore old values and then all is fine when turning on and off, fine start up....

Then after a few days when the computer is turned back on the after not being used the message "cmos setting wrong" comes back up again

Graham ® 12:57 04 May 04

Yes it is re-charged while the PC is on. If it is going flat after a few days, you need a new one.

Graham ® 13:00 04 May 04

This shows you how to change it click here

rickimalone 19:36 04 May 04

Im going to need to buy a replacement battery however in Maplins today I was presented with a massive array of batteries with different voltage
How can I know which one to get???

This is the motherboard in question:click here

Also with making note of the settings should I note everthing or just a few key things, I guess what im trying to say is will the motherboard retain any settings????

Totally-braindead 19:54 04 May 04

Look at the back of the battery it'll have a number like CM1404a or whatever, I got my last one from boots the chemists so if you don't have a maplins near you try there

rickimalone 19:59 04 May 04

Will do that thanks however does the number on the back indicate voltage as im not sure ill be able to get exactly the same one as what is already there.........

Also with Windows 98se can you make a disk that stores your cmos settings.......

woodchip 20:09 04 May 04

It's not recharged but will last longer if the wall socket swich is left on. As the CMOS will take it's power from the mains although it only a small volts it save's the battery from running down as fast

woodchip 20:11 04 May 04

If you want to save the CMOS post me for a program to do it, to the left of this post

keith-236785 20:19 04 May 04

Most motherboards cmos batteries are CR2032, available from smaller computer shops for about £1 each. if you goto staples for the same battery it will cost you £2.99 (what a rip off)

if you have major problems, i will send you an old cmos battery at no cost except postage (though in the past i have paid only 50p for one, less than the price of two stamps and an envelope).

Computer fairs are good places to pick up bits like this, but £2.00 to get into the fair makes it an expensive item if thats all you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…