"C:\$Mft is corrupt & unreadable"

wee eddie 23:35 02 Nov 06

after downloading IE7 and firing it up.

I have Googled and found out what it means but there are more potential solutions than you can shake a hat at.

I have a restore point, made immediately before I downloaded IE7, which might help but if the File Table is corrupt, then it will make little difference.

I have done an emergency file Backup including my .pst Folder, so unless that is corrupt as well, I'm probably reasonably well covered.

Anyone know how I should go about solving whatever the problem is?

wee eddie 23:38 02 Nov 06

Until this software had been about for a while and the bugs had been ironed out, before I downloaded it.

Then I thought! "What a wasser" and clicked the Download Button.

Rats!

skidzy 00:39 03 Nov 06

"Rats" wee eddie ... i bet thats what you said lol.

Looks like im one of the lucky one's so far,no really problems just yet ! Mind you only downloaded tonight.

Looks like a restore coming then ?

wee eddie 08:14 03 Nov 06

System restore not working.

Tried Restore Point, but it mentions that changes on Drive D cannot be changed (Drive, an External Drive was not plugged in when I made the Restore Point), I click OK and then Next, but there is no action from the Hard Drive

wee eddie 15:50 03 Nov 06

Went into safe Mode and tried that option, also tried changing the size of the Paging File.

No good.

Do I need a new Hard Drive?

wee eddie 09:48 04 Nov 06

bump

anskyber 09:54 04 Nov 06

I take it you've tried an uninstall of IE7?

anskyber 09:58 04 Nov 06

This doesn,t help you but an answer may appear here, its the identical issue. click here

wee eddie 10:00 04 Nov 06

According to Google it's the Hard Drive failing.

anskyber 10:01 04 Nov 06

A more up to date thread on the same issue. click here

anskyber 10:07 04 Nov 06

Its looking like a possible HDD failure or a corrupt file which the download of IE7 revealed rather than a failure of IE7 if that makes sense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…