cmd /k chkdsk c: /f

swapper 11:02 05 Jul 06

WinXP HE SP2
I ran sfc /scannow, that was o.k.
I then ran "cmd /k chkdsk c: /f" and ran that but it is in a loop and keeps doing the check.

The only way I can stop it is when I am offered the choices of:- "Safe Mode, Network, Command Prompt, Last known good config., Normal start up(?)".
If I leave it as normal start up it goes back into the loop, if I select Last know config. it runs o.k.

Any suggestions please?

mgmcc 11:12 05 Jul 06

Do you mean that each time you boot normally, it performs a check on your "C" drive before booting or does it never get to the stage of booting fully?

If it is checking first and then booting, what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and you have to unset that bit. Each time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes and check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run" type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and press Enter. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows NOT to check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has loaded, open a Command Prompt window again and perform a Chkdsk manually by typing CHKDSK /F /R C: This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

swapper 11:28 05 Jul 06

mgmcc, thank you for that very prompt reply. I have printed it, will follow it to the letter and come back.
Thanks again.

swapper 11:36 05 Jul 06

What I should have said is that I was having a tidy up, thought that I would do Scannow and chckdsk, up to that time things were reasonable.
From then on I kept getting the chkdsk loop, I will follow your advice and come back.

swapper 11:41 05 Jul 06

mgmcc, I ran the FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and got the result "c: is not dirty"

swapper 18:21 05 Jul 06

^

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 05 Jul 06

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294)
click here
Disable Autochk
click here

swapper 19:38 05 Jul 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\, thank you for that, I will have a look.

swapper 23:15 05 Jul 06

Fruit Bat /\0/The link to "Disable Autochk" did not work so I went here:-

click here

and deleted it from the registry. The loop does not now happen, but I do get a window saying that the Autochk can not be found etc. will I get this windo forever?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…