Cluster size problem

Quiet Life 23:23 03 Apr 09

I recently used the convert utility in XP to change C drive from FAT 32 to NFTS without any data loss. (This was after restoring an Acer laptop from Vista back to XP)
The default cluster size is 512bytes and I feel it will turn out that the change to NFTS will result in a slower performance.
I only use the laptop for e-mails, correspondence and storing backup of My Docs. from the main PC.
1. Any views on speed difference appreciated.
2. Also is there any safe way of converting to the more normal 4kb cluster?
I have Partition Magic 7 which has been very good on other disc management things but it has sometimes failed.
3. Would I be better off restoring the system back to FAT32 by using the restore disc again.

Strawballs 09:48 04 Apr 09

I'm surprised the XP restore disc's use Fat32 in the first place because XP uses NTFS by default, it will run on fat32 but not by default.

Quiet Life 10:11 04 Apr 09

Acer recovery in FAT32 is a big gripe by many people but that is the situation that exists

bremner 10:35 04 Apr 09

Partition Magic 8 can resize the clusters without loss of data. (Allegedly) click here

I would certainly backup any data you can not afford to loose before resizing.

Quiet Life 16:15 05 Apr 09

Thanks reply. Partition

Quiet Life 16:21 05 Apr 09

I hit the wrong key in error. Partition Magic failed for me error 117 (it would not start). On googling PM there are many instances of it not working. I eventually used Easeus Partition Master which worked fine but I did start again with the Acer recovery disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…