Cluster Problems, is my PC dying?

Fitto 16:39 23 Apr 05

I have a bad cluster. I have performed the "Fix" in Scan Disk. One of my applications refused to load & gave a error message. As I did not use this app. much I uninstalled it. Now I cannot access the Control Panel. Disk defrag refused to work before, but I cannot even get to it to attempt a start. The system is about 8 years old (pentium 3, 600). I was thinking about upgrading within the next 12 to 18 months. Have I got that long? Can I do anything to regain control of my system?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 23 Apr 05

What operating system are you using?

Try a repair XP
Type
sfc /scannow
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.
This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

REpair XP
click here

System File Checker Win98
click here

961 16:58 23 Apr 05

Sounds like the hard drive is about to give you a hard time

Is your stuff backed up? That's the no 1 priority

Get your precious stuff off the disk. Then you can think what comes next

Diemmess 17:00 23 Apr 05

Not easy to say, but if you can get going again it would be wise to suspect the aging system may get worse,.... and now is the best time to be sure all precious data is backed up regularly to CD or another HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…