Cloud computing VS VPN

jnwilde 09:07 AM 14 Dec 10

Hello all,

Im new here so please be nice,

Im currently doing a dissertation on cloud computing within SMES. I have a pretty strong framework (i think) identifying Iaas Paas Saas but I cant seem to find a clear and simple description of the differences (or advantages and disadvantages between VPN and cloud specifically. I have scalable and pay as you go etc but nothing which is concise and understandable without a technical background.

I would really appreciate any help

Many thanks

Joe

Forum Editor 18:34 PM 21 Dec 10

VPN enables you to extend your own network across a different medium - one that isn't necessarily secure. You would use VPN for access to your company's internal network from your home, and you would use it to take users securely from one website to another, maintaining confidentiality of data and identity.

Cloud computing enables you to send data into the cloud, probably using VPN technology. I have some doubts about data security in a cloud context, because I'm concerned with who manages the cloud, how I can easily find my data, and who else might have access to it.

What I'm really saying is that it's not easy to make a straight comparison between what are essentially two different things.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone