Closing Windows problem

Jaceey 13:58 21 Feb 08

Hi, When I use Start, My docs and open a file its fine. When I close the file it opens another larger "Blank Page - windows internet explorer" - and all icons/folders on the screen flash/flicker. I then have to close that too, is there a way I can just close the window Once and stop this flashing/flickering. This has been happening for about three days now .. It does this every time I open a window on or offline and its so annoying. I have windows XP and IE7 dont know if thats any help to you. Thank you
June

T0SH 14:12 21 Feb 08

Sounds like it may be some sort of pop up window usually they are the result of malware infections

Freeware programs the likes of Spybot Search and Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Super Antispyware, Ewido ETC should be able to track down and remove the culprit but choose carefully there is lots of bad stuff out there

Cheers HC

Jaceey 18:08 21 Feb 08

I have various spyware & antivirus software already on my computer, but I did download Spyware, Spybot & Super Antispyware, as you suggested, these all found errors and corrected them and I have kept SuperAntispyware. But it hasn`t solved my problem of the Blank Webpage, any more suggestions please.
June

Kingfisher 18:24 21 Feb 08

Have you tried a system restore to a date before this was happening, if not sure how to get a system restore do the following:
click on start, then all programs then click on accessories, then system tools then system restore, then highlight "restore my computer to an earlier time". then select a date that is highlighted in bold prior to when the problem occured, pc will then reboot to that date,
good luck any problems post back

Jaceey 19:26 21 Feb 08

Kingfisher,
I have tried to restore it back to three different dates it just keeps saying cannot be restored to that date. Can I leave it with you for more suggestions.
Thank you
Jaycey

Kingfisher 17:38 22 Feb 08

Sorry for delay in posting back,the only other thing I can suggest is trying system restore in safe mode, to access safe mode reboot p.c. and keep tapping f8 and when promped go to safe mode lots of drivers will load and it will taka a while once in safe mode try system restore again, if still no go then suggest you disable some add ons in IE7 go to tools menu in IE7 and select manage add ons make a note of which are and are not enabled then disable some add ons and see if it solves the problem. if not have a look here click here= you might be able to repair IE 7
one last suggestion is to run system file checker to do this go to start run and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes note space after sfc before slash. if any corrupt files are found then you will be prompted yo insert your original xp disk.
good luck

hiwatt 18:44 22 Feb 08

If you right click my computer and choose properties then choose advanced tab,under start up and recovery click settings and clear the automatically reastart checkbox then click ok,this will stop the computer from rebooting and display the error that's causing it to reboot.

T0SH 18:49 22 Feb 08

the fact that your system restore is not working would also indicate some sort of infection perhaps a Hijackthis scan and save a log file to post on one of the many forums where experienced helpers will analyse your log and suggest fix proceedures for you

Hijackthis download

click here

the how to use it is here

click here

You can post your hijack this log files here for help but Very Important please read the posting instruction rules before you post anything

click here

Cheers HC

hiwatt 18:51 22 Feb 08

I was thinking of another problem.Just woken up.

Jaceey 20:23 22 Feb 08

Wow I think this will take me sometime, I will try my best, maybe I`ll be back next week then, hopefully to say "thank you guys".
Jacey

Jaceey 20:40 22 Feb 08

Hi Guys,
Well that was quick wasn`t it...
Kingfisher, thank you. It was an add on that was causing the problem in IE, wow and it was my own download of Incredibar, it has been removed from my computer now.
Thank you for you time & trouble.
Jacey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5