Closing System Restore.

Meshuga 18:25 25 Sep 04

Having read on a number of occasions on these forums that when searching for items that were difficult to remove it was advisable to close system restore first. I did this and got a message saying that if I did I would lose all previous restore points. I decided not to do it until taking advice. Therefore, advice requested please. Meshuga. XP+SP2 Used.

VoG II 18:28 25 Sep 04

Hi Meshuga

Yes, turning off SR will lose all restore points (including any nasties stored in there, that anti-virus cannot get at). That is one reason why it is recommended to turn it off to get rid of viruses.

However, it is possible to delete individual restore points click here

Djohn 18:37 25 Sep 04

VoG™'s advice is spot on as always. If you do decide to turn off system restore for any reason, it will lose any saved points.

I had to do this myself some weeks back to remove a virus, once removed I rebooted the PC which automatically gave a new restore point as and from the time of the reboot. You will then continue to build a fresh database of restore points from that time forward.

Meshuga 18:44 25 Sep 04

VoG, I knew you`d have the answer, thanks also to you, Djohn. I`ll give it another go. Regards to both. Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…