Closing pop ups safely?

albu 21:38 30 Jun 04

I read in a magazine that by clicking on the cross red/white box in the corner, can cause your PC to be infected by diallers etc. It mentions pressing the esc key instead but having tried this it fails to work.

What is the safest way to close a pop up when browsing?

Any help please?

Thanks

end 21:51 30 Jun 04

got "ideas" but will wait for the " experts" to intervene , then .......

I HATE those "orrible things!!!!
my Guard IE stops most of them , but had one the other night that caused me AGRO, and my comments ON it managed to get a thread closed by F.E.!!!!!

JFT 21:57 30 Jun 04

I found the best solution was to switch browser, i now use firefox and no pop ups.
Internet Explorer has more holes than me grandpas string vest.

VoG II 21:58 30 Jun 04

The best way is to get a pop-up stopper to stop the blighters appearing in the first place. I have tried many but the one that I have found best is the Google toolbar. It does have other uses as well click here

Or use a browser that blocks pop-ups automatically like Firefox click here

JFT 22:02 30 Jun 04

PS Here is some of the reasons i switched to firefox.

* It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
* There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
* No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
* Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
* You have complete control over cookies.

VoG II 22:06 30 Jun 04

And it is, well, just better than IE. :o))

obbit 23:32 30 Jun 04

if a popup is the active window so to speak, i would use ALT + F4 if the close x is not advised.

then right-click and 'Close'. Not entirely sure why, but this seems a more effective and reliable way of closing anything in Windows than the 'cross-in-a-box'.

end 23:46 30 Jun 04

I like that idea.. might try it on that horrid site that got mE into trouble , and see what success i have....(optimism...now THAT will NEVER do for me!!!!)

woodchip 23:54 30 Jun 04

What pop-up's, Do not get any with Netscape 7

end 23:59 30 Jun 04

novel.....that pop-up that got ME into troubl yetersday, is not there now!!!!I"ve just checked that thread and it is not there......so cannot test that theory!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…