Closing IE 6 after web viewing.

plantzzman 16:17 22 Nov 03

Iam posting here for a friend who couldnt access this website for some reason-I hope she has not been able to get on and cover the problem.
She operates an ME PC on an NTL broadband connection.Recently she has found that after browsing websites she clicks the X in the top right hand corner of the screen to close IE6 but all that happens is it goes PING through the speakers and IE dosnt close down.To close she has to click ctrl alt del and do it this way.
Any ideas what has gone wrong/what she has done and how to put it right?
We went into add/remove progs and clicked repair IE it then said restart but still had the problem after restart.
Thanks

VoG II 16:44 22 Nov 03

What happens if she tries Close from the File Menu?

plantzzman 01:59 24 Nov 03

VOG thanks for the reply-I was hoping for more replies-they were rather thin on the ground which kind of makes a joke of my reccommending these forums at PCadvisor to the lady.
I have told the lady to try clicking close in file next time she is online.Down side is after I last spoke to her she fell down stairs and has broken her nose and arm so not sure when that will be.
Thanks again

plantzzman 18:00 29 Nov 03

Right had a chat to the lady.She has tried clicking file the close on IE6 and found still nothing happens.Does anyone have any ideas as regards what else she can try? will it be a case of trying to reinstall IE6? if so how does she go about it?
She runs IE6 on an NTL broadband connection on a PC using Win ME.
Thanks

Gaz 25 18:17 29 Nov 03

I think this could be a variation of JS\Noclose virus.

Run an up-to-date virus scanner, such as click here

Gaz 25 18:18 29 Nov 03
  plantzzman 18:27 29 Nov 03

Thanks GAZ I will get the lady to check that her virus software is upto date.I think she uses Norton and keeps it upto date=she never used to but think I have just about heat her into it.
I will do abit of searching around on that virus.
Thanks again

plantzzman 20:31 03 Dec 03

Spoken to the lady again.She ran her Norton virus scan which she tells me found nothing.She then emptied her temp internet files but still finds IE 6 wont shut down-just pings when she clicks X.
I really dont know what else to tell her.
How would she reinstall IE 6?

cycoze 21:08 03 Dec 03

It could possibly be a Browser Helper Object , spyware/adware/foistware, have a look in the registry and see if this line is there HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects , if it is you could back up the registry first then delete the line , save , reboot.

Alternatively down load spybot search and destroy click here or many of the others spyware/adware killers mentioned in these forums.

cycoze 21:16 03 Dec 03

Another program for BHO`s detection/removal is BHODemon from click here .

VoG II 22:10 03 Dec 03

Try a repair of IE click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…