Closing Down Explorer

shaduf 21:37 16 Apr 03

Whenever I want to leave the net I close down Explorer using File, Close and I am left with an option box asking if I want to close down.
I accept and I am off the net.
Until a week ago that is.
Now when I close Explorer down it just goes back to desktop and I don,t hear the phone click as I go off. I am still on the net until I close the computer down.

I don't know what changed it but I can't find a switch or solution anywhere. It's got to be so simple or perhaps I am!.

Shaduf

MAJ 21:46 16 Apr 03

In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab, highlight your default connection, click the Settings button, click the Advanced button then tick the box which says "Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed".

shaduf 21:56 16 Apr 03

Thanks MAJ for your prompt response and clear instruction.

I've just tried it but it didn't work unfortunately. When I left IE I was back to the desktop but still on line.

Any other ideas?

Tim1964 22:01 16 Apr 03

That might make a difference.

crx16 22:05 16 Apr 03

do you not have an icon in the notification area,that you can right-click and disconnect?

do you have XP,i seem to remember a lot of threads about this 'box' not appearing when it should,for no reason.

MAJ 22:18 16 Apr 03

Make sure that you don't have Outlook Express opened or minimised to the taskbar, shaduf. It seems that something still needs the connection. Have you done a virus and/or spyware check recently?

shaduf 14:53 17 Apr 03

Tim1964
Yes I've tried the "Top Right X" but doesn't make any difference. I go back to the blue desktop but I'm still connected.

crx16
Not quite sure what the notification area is?

MAJ
Good points - will make sure I have the latest AVG and then run it.

Thanks all

Shaduf

crx16 15:18 17 Apr 03

notification area - the area in the bottom right of your screen, next to the clock there are icons showing you running programs,sometimes refrerred to a system tray.

i have 2 icons which give me an option to disconnect on right-click,heres a picture click here

shaduf 21:44 17 Apr 03

Got it - by jove I've got it.

Thanks for that crx16 - you were spot on. Down in the bottom right was an Icon for Tiscali with the option to close down and it worked.

Thanks to all.

Shaduf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…