Closing down Acrobat Reader

dipsy 23:07 07 Jun 03

Can anyone help? After viewing a .pdf document I close Acrobat Reader by clicking on the X in the top right corner. However, when I come to close down my PC, it seems that AR is still running and my PC freezes. In order to prevent this problem I have to Control-Alt-Delete and shutdown AR by that method. I cannot find any obvious solution for this. I have just uninstalled AR5 and installed AR6 but this has not solved the problem. Don't know if it's relevant but my OS is ME.

Forum Editor 23:19 07 Jun 03

Acrobat assistant is running in what's called 'common startup'.

For the life of me I can't remember if WinME has the msconfig tool included. Try going to Start/run and type : msconfig

Click on OK and if the msconfig dialogue appears click the startup tab. Look for Acrobat aasistant, and if it's there, remove the tick. You'll need to restart for the change to register.

dipsy 23:27 07 Jun 03

Yes, it is possible to access msconfig in ME. I've tried what you said but there's no sign of Acrobat Assistant or any other reference to Acrobat Reader in startups?

Forum Editor 23:44 07 Jun 03

Nothing springs to mind at the moment I'm afraid. The forum will quieten down soon and I'll have more time - I'll think about it, and if I come up with anything I'll be back.

Wak 10:46 08 Jun 03

What happens if you go to the FILE menu and select EXIT instead of clicking on the X at the top????

dipsy 22:07 08 Jun 03

Have tried that, File then Close, but results in the same problem. When I Control-Alt-Delete the program running is Acrord32. Don't know if this helps?

Wak 22:24 08 Jun 03

AcroRD32.exe is the executable file for Adobe Acrobat Reader. That is the file which needs to be removed or unticked somewhere in the Start-up file.

dipsy 22:33 08 Jun 03

The FE suggested I check Startups in msconfig but it is not listed there. I can't find a way of reconfiguring within AR itself either. I think my PC just doesn't like AR!

VoG™ 22:38 08 Jun 03

What version of Acrobat Reader? - did you know that there is a relatively new Version 6. It might be worth uninsyalling the current version, download and install the new version and keep everything crossed.

penny 02:47 09 Jun 03

I had a similar problem and solved it by clicking the Back Arrow to take me to the previous page, before I closed the window. It works every time for some reason.

dipsy 21:24 09 Jun 03

VoG - Since I first posted this problem, I uninstalled version 5 and I downloaded and installed version 6 thinking it may rectify itself...same result.
penny - Thanks for your suggestion I have tried what you said but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.
Further info - when I close the program down using Control-Alt-Delete it takes 3 attempts to close and then I get the "Program not responding -do you want to wait or close immediately" box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…