Closing Down

Bingalau 10:11 26 Feb 07

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but over the last couple of weeks, when I have been closing down for the night. I get a message that tells me the computer is downloading and installing upgrades. It is usually two of them but one day last week it was fifteen. I am told not to switch the computer off as it will do so automatically. What I am wondering is. Why has this only been happening over the last couple of weeks? Am I downloading the same two items every night? Why was it suddenly fifteen on the one occasion? Does this happen to anybody else? Etc. ..Bingalau..

STREETWORK 10:21 26 Feb 07

Yep, I also had this and just let it happen...

gudgulf 10:22 26 Feb 07

Probably Windows updates.

Try running Windows Update manually and see if it is listing any updates.Try installing from the Update site and see what happens if there are.....you can check your update history from there too.If any of the updates are failing you will find that Windows will continually try to re download and install them.

If you do find you have failed updates......post which ones they are on the forum.

crosstrainer 10:47 26 Feb 07

Vista did this to me after it repeatedly failed to install the new Nvidia drivers (which don't work anyway...so i went into the update section and disabled that particular update...no problems now...if it's XP then I have never had that happen.

Bingalau 12:04 26 Feb 07

crosstrainer. No I am not running Vista. Can't afford it. ....gudgulf. I have been getting updates downloaded automatically in the past, but they never did it at close down. So I think it is something different. I am reluctant to download any more items such as registry cleaner, because I've never been able to understand them in the past. In fact I think I have probably already got registry cleaner somewhere in the bowels of this machine. I will have a look and see, then if I have I will run it and see what happens. If not I will download this link that you have sent, Thank you! STREETWORK. Did it just stop happening on yours eventually? ..Bingalau..

Meshuga 12:56 26 Feb 07

I have had this happen occasionally on both my pcs. The updates download and then the pc shuts down. Don`t know why it happens and it hasn`t happened for a while.

Bingalau 13:25 26 Feb 07

Meshuga. Thanks for the input and I will tick it as resolved for now and if it doesn't stop I will use the reg cleaner and see if that has any effect. Thanks to all for your replies. ..Bingalau..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…