CloseHWDialog.exe

RubyTuesday 14:07 30 Jan 05

Can anyone tell me what this is? I found it in Windows System32 and its icon looks like a devilish teddy in black & red! There is also a second icon like this for .... RunUnknown.exe
I have tried clicking on both, but nothing happens. I have also scanned it with Antivir Guard, but comes up clean! Thanks..x

JaßîsFaß ˜ 14:20 30 Jan 05

No luck on a google search for these and they don't exist in my system32 folder (i'm on XP Pro).

Can you tell when they were installed from the file dates?

If no one else can give further information, move them to your recycle bin, run all your software and if they all perform OK, you will probably be OK to delete them, or perhaps save them on a disc so you can put them back in if needed.

RubyTuesday 14:34 30 Jan 05

I am on XP Home......the install dates were 17th January 2005....says its version 1..but no ther info am afraid....would send a pic of icon symbol if that would help.

Diemmess 14:41 30 Jan 05

Sounds threatening - Not always a good idea to run an unknown exe! Have you tried a right click and Properties to see if you can find a path or significant details of these weird ones?

RubyTuesday 14:44 30 Jan 05

Yes I have..thats how I found out about the install dates and version.....but it doesnt tell me anything else atall.

Diemmess 16:04 30 Jan 05

I was a bit dense not to realise that RunUnknown.exe WAS its name!

JaßîsFaß ˜ 10:52 31 Jan 05

Anyone else recognize these exe files?

ACOLYTE 11:01 31 Jan 05

I think but am mot 100% that these could have been created by a virus that generates random names for files the closest i could find for unknown.exe was click here
The other CloseHWDialog.exe sounds like it either tries to close apps,IE: firewalls,virus checkers or displays a pop up box saying the app has had an error and needs to close,of course this is just a guess but it seems logical,so either you had a virus and this is whats left after you removed it or you still have one and dont know.

RubyTuesday 11:10 31 Jan 05

Thanks so much Acolyte....have downloaded the link you sent and hope it works!! Otherwise, I dont know what to do. My laptop is sooooo slow to start up and also takes ages to open anything on my desktop......have uninstalled and deleted alot of stuff..but still so very slow.

ACOLYTE 11:32 31 Jan 05

I didnt know there was a link to downlaod on the page,it was just an example for you but if it works good luck.

RubyTuesday 11:37 31 Jan 05

Yes, there was a download...SpyHunter...it was great, but lots and lots of severe stuff that needs to be removed...but to remove stuff, you have to buy the full version! Will look into the price, but really cannot afford it at moment as am unemployed. But I will try my best as something has to be done. Am very grateful to you and everyone else who has tried to help me. xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…