Closedown then 'Insert system disk' message

kinger 18:34 21 May 06

On my son's PC running XP service pack two ... it will run for quite some time and then suddenly restart but on attempting to restart it has a message during the start of boot process 'Insert system disk'.

If I leave the PC off for a while it starts fine when I turn it back on, without any error messages.

Anyone any ideas of what could be causing this?

Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 21 May 06

Sounds like it can not find the hraddrive with XP on when its getting hot.

Use something like motherboard monitor to keep an eye on tempurates of the cpu and hard drives.

Back up your important data NOW before its too late.

VoG II 18:42 21 May 06

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

The next time you should get an error code and message on a blue screen. Post them here.

kinger 19:12 21 May 06

Thanks guys,

I have backed up (it closed down just as soon as I'd finished ... close shave).

There are two LED digits on the motherboard which show 'FF' when it fails.

Also, when I put a finger on the HDD I can't feel it vibrate. This could mean it's totally giving up, of course.

I did a system check on the disk, it got to 'stage five' checking free space, then failed again.

I'll follow VoG™ advice just as soon as it cools or allows me to reboot using drive C.

kinger 20:32 21 May 06

OK, it's the HDD, definitely failed.

I've got another hard drive and have connected it but all I get when using a win startup disk and try to 'FDISK' is get a message that no fixed disk is installed.

I am using the same connectors but the jumper settings may be different.

Question is. Firstly, how do I get the drive recognised by the PC and secondly, I have a full Acronis back up of the entire faulty drive, will it allow me to reinstall to a brand new drive?

Any guidance much appreciated.

kinger 22:02 21 May 06

It's a Maxtor, so I'll visit the web site and find out jumper and cable settings.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…