Cloning XP

peter_l1993 16:08 06 May 07

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to clone my current partition (C:), so that I have a new partition, which I can boot into (say E:) in case my system fails.

Help greatly appreciated.

Petar

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 06 May 07
  freaky 18:19 06 May 07

As stated on the link supplied by Fruit Bat /\0/\.

Get the latest version of Acronis True Image Home V10. That will do all you want and more.

freaky 18:19 06 May 07

As stated on the link supplied by Fruit Bat /\0/\.

Get the latest version of Acronis True Image Home V10. That will do all you want and more.

Quiet Life 18:55 06 May 07

I use XXclone which is a free program and will clone the whole of your C drive onto another bootable partition. You can then run this by changing your boot order and can see that it works OK. If your hard drive fails and both systems are on the same drive then you will have achieved nothing. Much better to have it on a separate hard drive.

audeal 19:08 06 May 07

Quiet Life: I would be interested to know if you clone the "C" drive onto a CD or DVD and change the boot order, as you suggest, then could you boot up with a CD?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:17 06 May 07

Buy an external HD as they are relatively cheap now and clone the drive to that. It can also hold all your photos and music files.

G

ashdav 20:23 06 May 07

Don't think it would work as there would be no pagefile unless you specified it was on another drive.

audeal 23:26 06 May 07

OK ashdav, I was just curious thats all. Thanks.

pat2068 00:46 07 May 07

i am looking into buying a new hard drive but could anyone please tell me if i can clone my xp oem to my new hard drive or would i need to buy a new version of xp thanks leo

freaky 09:27 07 May 07

In answer to your question: -

"could anyone please tell me if i can clone my xp oem to my new hard drive or would i need to buy a new version of xp".

You will be able to clone it, but when you boot the new HD Windows will request validation.

Earlier this year I cloned HD (C) to an external HD as drive (C) was becoming faulty. I replaced and installed a new drive, then cloned from the external to the new HD. Everything worked OK but I had to validate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…