cloning harddrive?

bobatnorthway 18:22 04 Aug 06

A few years ago I used to be able to clone a H\drive by attaching the extra drive to the cable & boot from a floppy uing ghost, I need that facility once more, has anyone a suggestion of a free software prog (simple to use) that will do the job.

FelixTCat 18:30 04 Aug 06

A quick Google search turns up:

click here

and any one on here:

click here

Regards,

Felix

GaT7 18:35 04 Aug 06

Depending on your hard drive(s) manufacturer, there are free utilities provided by them that will do it, e.g., MaxBlast 4 for Maxtor drives click here.

Also check out HDClone free edition click here. G

bobatnorthway 18:38 04 Aug 06

Thanks felix but having read articles on the forum there is a difference between cloning and imaging a drive, I am not ofay, but the software you suggest offers imaging and does not appear to clone, is this correct or am I misinterpreting ?

GaT7 19:50 04 Aug 06

I think imaging is creating a clone which resides on the drive in the form of an image FILE. The image file is just that - a file, a backup copy if you like. It doesn't overwrite anything (unless manually restored).

Cloning is directly copying/duplicating one hard disk/partition to another hard disk/partition so that the contents of both are identical. Cloning will overwrite everything on the target drive/partition. G

pj123 20:57 04 Aug 06

I clone my hard drive to a second hard drive using xcopy (but I am still on Win 98SE).

I am told that xxcopy: click here or xxclone: click here will work for Win XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now