Cloning Hard Drive - how do I resize the partition

PA28 18:42 15 Oct 06

Installed a new C: drive - a Samsung 250Gb IDE - as my Western Digital 80Gb was getting full. Rather than a clean install of XP I decided to make a clone using HD Clone, a freebie disk cloning tool I found elsewhere in this forum. This worked superbly and transferred an exact image of my Western Digital 80Gb drive onto my Samsung - it was so exact that I now have two Western Digital 80Gb drives! Disk Management in XP shows the drive as 74Gb Western Digital with the remaining 150Gb(or thereabouts) as "unallocated space".

Is it possible to make the partition the full 250Gb at this stage without losing the data that has been copied over (it took 5 hours to make the image) or is it a case of getting hold of a copy of Partition Magic or similar to do the job. Suggestions welcomed please.

PA28 18:57 15 Oct 06

I should add that I'm running on XP Home fully updated and disks are NTFS formatted.

T0SH 19:11 15 Oct 06

Goto Samsungs web page, download their disk preparation software, make a floppy or a bootable CD by following their instructions, using this to clone your old drive to the new one will leave the new drive as a single partition, it should take less than an hour

You could also use Norton Ghost but you would have to buy that

Cheers HC

PA28 13:56 18 Oct 06

Thanks for you help Tosh - hadn't thought of that one. In fact I unearthed an old copy of Partition Magic and put that on - I had forgotten how "magic" this program really is. Sorted me out in 10 seconds flat!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now