Cloning Hard Disc Using Acronis True Image

thegreypanther 09:01 09 Mar 10

Fearing my hard drive is about to fail, I need to make a clone (onto my existing external hard drive) for when the inevitable happens.
Problem is, the Acronis True Image manual is 108 pages long and the "how to" takes a bit of fathoming out.
Are there any reasonably SIMPLE guides as to how to prepare a hard disc clone (using Acronis True Image), so that in the event of needing to replace the hard drive I can get going again as quickly as possible?

Technotiger 09:14 09 Mar 10

Hi, it is really very simple - the existing external drive will become your internal C: drive when cloned.

With the drive connected simply open Acronis and choose the Clone option - then just follow on-screen prompts without making any changes, or in other words, just use all the programs Defaults. Don't set a password or anything else, it really is just a matter of choosing Clone then let Acronis get on with it.

Depending on the amount of data and programs etc on C: it will probably take about half an hour or so to complete. The cloned drive will then be an exact copy of your present C: drive in every detail, except of course the Drives' Capacity - cloning is usually done to upgrade to a larger capacity drive.

You then just physically swap the drives over, at your own convenience.

gengiscant 09:15 09 Mar 10
  dvdcllns 09:15 09 Mar 10

Hi

I can't do the 'click here' bizzo like others but try this address, it helped me do the same job as you're wanting to do

click here

Best of luck

gengiscant 09:16 09 Mar 10

or here,click here

thegreypanther 09:42 09 Mar 10

Many thanks for the help. Looks like things may be a bit simpler than I at first thought. Hope so!

Technotiger 09:49 09 Mar 10

NB - gengiscant's last 'click here' is not for cloning, it is for creating a backup image - not the same thing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…