Cloning a disk using Acronis - daft question?

Mike D 22:49 21 Jan 09

I am about to install a new, bigger diskk in my PC and I am going to use True Image 11 to cloning my existing disk. Do I need to format the new disk first or will Acronis sort things out?

Mike

woodchip 23:09 21 Jan 09

All I do is just Make a Full Backup Image with Acronis. You then Start the Computer with the Acronis CD after it finds an loads Acronis take the Disc out then Load your Acronis Backup CD's or DVD or if you have the Image on a External Drive on the Main First Partition you just start restore and it will sort it all out for you It will Create a Partition same size as the old or you can make it fit the Drive

Joe R 23:27 21 Jan 09

Mike D,

I haven't tried a back-up straight to an unformatted disk, but, it only takes a couple of minutes to format from disk management.

DieSse 23:30 21 Jan 09

woody - he's cloning, not imaging. Cloning is the correct way to go when upgrading a drive.

Mike - Acronis will sort it all out for you. Just start the cloning procedure from Acronis and follow the instructions.

lotvic 00:14 22 Jan 09

From User Guide AT11:
"Clone mode
There are two transfer modes available: automatic and manual.
In the automatic mode, you will only have to take a few simple actions to transfer all the
data, including partitions, folders and files, to a new disk, making it bootable if the original
disk was bootable.
There will be only one difference between these disks – partitions on the newer disk will be
larger. Everything else, including the installed operating systems, data, disk labels, settings,
software and everything else on the disk, will remain the same.
This is the only result available in the automatic mode. The program can only duplicate the
original disk layout to the new one. To obtain a different result, you will have to answer
additional questions about cloning parameters.
The manual mode will provide more data transfer flexibility.
1. You will be able to select the method of partition and data transfer:
• as is
• new disk space is proportionally distributed between the old disk partitions
• new disk space is distributed manually
2. You will also be able to select operations to perform on the old disk:
• leave partitions (and data!) on the old disk
• remove all information from the old disk
• create new partitions on the old disk (and remove all the old information)

Disk Clone Wizard
We recommend using automatic mode in most cases. The manual mode can be useful if you
need to change the disk partition layout.
If the program finds two disks, one partitioned and another unpartitioned, it will
automatically recognize the partitioned disk as the source disk and the unpartitioned disk as
the destination disk."

Hope this helps and good luck with the clone :)

gazzaho 07:02 22 Jan 09

I'm no expert with Acronis, I just bought a copy last week for backing up my system, but I cloned my boot disk onto another disk a few months back using the trial version of Acronis with no problems. However, if I can remember correctly I had to format the drive first in disk management as it was new and un-formatted in order for windows to recognise it, if it's a new drive you may have to do the same.

Mike D 07:52 22 Jan 09

Thanks to everyone. it does look as if Acronis will sort it for me as per lotvic's extract from the user guide and DieSse's (by gum that's a lot of esses!) assurance.
I've marked as resolved, but when I do it (in the next couple of weeks) I will post results back.

Mike

€dstowe 09:00 22 Jan 09

My father has been a fan of Acronis for many years but, a couple of weeks ago, he decided to clone a drive using that software.

It seemed to progress with extremely high speed (a few seconds) before it announced it was completed. It hadn't. The new drive was as empty as the day it was first formatted. Nothing he could do would make Acronis clone on to that drive or any other. Even a re-install of the software resulted in the same failure.

Not to be defeated, he gave XXClone a try. Not only did this do the job without issue, it was much easier than Acronis (no rebooting in the middle of the process and suchlike).

The drive was cloned and replaced with the new one within an hour using XXClone.

He is now thinking of abandoning Acronis in favour of XXClone and keeping disk clones rather than disk images.

What's more, this was all done with the free version click here

Mike D 07:31 23 Jan 09

Thanks €dstowe, I have downloaded a copy of XXClone "just in case".
Mike

gazzaho 08:53 23 Jan 09

If you make the clone with Acronis make sure you don't plug both disks in at the same time. I've read that when doing this windows can have trouble identifying which disk is which. Read jonyjoe81's post here click here

woodchip 09:49 23 Jan 09

Well all I used was a Image for a new Disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos