Cloned Icons??

BEANS 20:02 03 Oct 04

When I switched on today all the icons on the desktop had changed to the W98 flag icon. A box appeared saying "cannot find Microsoft Office .lnk".
I tried clicking any one of the icons which then brought up the 'Open With' request box. I selected, say Corel PhotoPaint, which opened OK, but complained about the file type. On closing that program and returning to the desktop I found every icon bore the Corel logo, and clicking any icon opened Corel!
Holding shift while clicking an icon gave the usual option to "Open With..." but, whatever program was selected caused ALL the desktop icons to change to that program's logo - and if clicked open that program.
Re-starts produced the same problem, but eventually I managed to open the Restore part of my ConFig Safe program and returned the PC to normal.
Has anyone suggestions as to what went wrong, or is this another virus? My Norton virus checker is up to date, as is AdAware. I'm running Office XP and have been since it came out.
Can this problem occur again?
The PC runs on W98SE.
Thank you, someone.

VoG II 20:11 03 Oct 04

It may have been simply a corruption of the icon cache.

To put your mind at rest scan with a² click here and eScan click here

BEANS 18:28 05 Oct 04

Thanks, so far the icons have remained OK.
I've bookmarked the links.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…