Cloned drive won't boot - can't use XP repair

cyberphobic 07:02 04 Apr 06

I've built a new PC for my daughter (AsusA7V8X/Athlon3200/120GBHDD and have used Acronis True Image 8.0 to clone her existing 60GB HDD onto the new 120GB drive ( as slave in the old machine)I was then intending to put the 120GB drive into the new machine and use my XP CD to trigger the repair function so that the new mobo drivers are loaded on to the cloned drive and it boots and performs normally. However when the press R repair option should appear (after pressing F8) - it just isn't there! I either have two options to format using NTFS or abort the installation. I can't get past the BIOS screen so can't use SFC scannow. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

xania 09:06 04 Apr 06

I suspect that the old version of XP is just not clean enough for the new mobo. Frankly, repair was not intended for this use and you really should be reinstalling from scratch. Quite apart from anything else, I'm not sure whether you way will take you through the verification process and you may find some copyright issues coming out. I recommend you do a fresh installation from the install CD and then copy across your important files from the old drive (as you describe above).

cyberphobic 12:44 04 Apr 06

Thanks for your response, I have done this successfully before and didn't anticipate any problems. I wonder if I would have more success if I reversed the process and put the "old" 60GB drive in the new computer as slave and then copied that across to the main 120GB drive? Call me lazy, but it's such a faff copying individual files across and I can guarantee that I won't be able to find the original CDs to reinstall all the programmes!

xania 17:07 04 Apr 06

Don't think it'll make any difference.

cyberphobic 19:34 04 Apr 06

Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to how I can transfer the data from old HDD to new HDD in new PC?

johnnyrocker 19:42 04 Apr 06

i use an external caddy for purposes such as you describe which connects via usb and i then just move stuff onto and off as i wish, very handy too.

johnny.

pipedream 21:07 04 Apr 06

I'd agree with xania that this isn't a good idea - best to have a good look for all your CDs(!), reinstall Windows (although you may have authentication problems?) and copy the data across by fitting the old drive as a slave (by data I mean Word docs, photos, e-mail etc., not the programs themselves).

woodchip 21:55 04 Apr 06

True Image as to go back on to a system that it was created on with same hardware setup and drivers. You can change Hard disc but it should be set as master when installed as boot. both for creating the Image and restoring it

phono 22:19 04 Apr 06

I would go ahead and let the computer boot up to Windows, it will probably detect all the new hardware and ask for the driver CDs.

It is not an ideal way of going about it but I have replaced mobos a few times now for friends/relatives who, if possible, wanted their setup preserved at all costs, if the old and new mobos have the same manufacturers chipsets you may well not even be asked for the drivers.

DieSse 22:38 04 Apr 06

When you put in the cloned 120GB drive and boot - without trying to enter a repair cycle - what actually happens? Does it boot? - hang? - keep rebooting? - or what?

cyberphobic 22:48 04 Apr 06

phono/DieSSe I get the Asus flash screen then the usual choice of - safe modes, last known good configuration or start windows normally - whichever I choose, it returns to the flash screen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced