Clone a Laptop Hard Disk?

JerryJay 10:59 26 Dec 03

Is there any easy way to clone a Laptop hard disk? I am thinking to use an external enclosure to hold the new hard disk initially and clone it and then replace old one. The old one then can be put into the external enclosure used as an portable storage. The trouble is that I do not know any program which can clone a HD into an external HD. If a solution is found for Laptop, it can also used to replace HD in desktop as well.

Wak 11:08 26 Dec 03

Hi Jerry, I run Win 98SE and use XXCOPY to clone my C:\ drive to my D:\ drive on a weekly basis.
It clones everything including the O/S, registry, programs and data files and can be used with all systems from 95 to XP.
XXCOPY can be downloaded FREE from click here and to use it, you go to Start, MS-DOS prompt and type :-

xxcopy C:\ D:\/CLONE

If things ever go wrong with your C:\ drive, simply clone it all back from the D;\ drive to the C:\ drive.
I hope this is of some use to you.

JerryJay 22:04 27 Dec 03

Wak,

Thank you for your suggestion. It seems a very good program. Can I ask you two questions (1) Can you boot up from Cloned Disk? (2) Can it handle with a disk with four partitions and two of them have OS, WinXp and Win 2K?

DieSse 23:11 27 Dec 03

click here Look at XXclone first, it can make bootable clones of XP drives.

Wak 10:38 28 Dec 03

Yes, you can boot up the cloned disc as it also copies the MBR. In the past I have replaced my C:\ drive just by booting up the D:\ drive and then used xxcopy to clone to the old C:\ drive again.
One point to watch is the fact that when you boot up with your D:\ drive, it automatically becomes the C:\ drive and so you still clone the C:\ (was D:\ drive) to the D:\ drive (was C:\ drive).
Unless you have a dual boot program, you may have to alter the selection in the BIOS to boot the D:\ drive but as it's only for back up purposes you won't have to do this very often. (We hope).
As each partition has it's own drive letter I would suggest that it would be OK to clone either to or from a partition but I can't say that I've actually done it.
It may be a case of suck it and see??

DieSse 12:34 28 Dec 03

XXcopy cannot make a bootable WinXP drive - don't know about Win2000 - perhaps the two sites will explain what can and can't be done.

Wak 16:05 28 Dec 03

According to the blurb on the XXCOPY site, it will certainly work with all windows from 95 up to and including XP.
It certainly clones and re-boots from a cloned disc in Win 98SE but I can't be certain about XP (as I don't use it) so perhaps you had better read all the available matter, as suggested by DieSse, before committing yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…